Cancellation of lease deed

My father owns a piece of land in the Industrial area, Dewas. Recently we received a notice for the cancellation of the lease deed because the factory is not in working condition. Since I don't know much about this, I want to know what rights do my father lose upon cancellation of the lease deed. He was planning to sell the land anyway, will he still be allowed to sell the land even after its lease got canceled.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Expert)

Dear querist,

Meet and negotiate with the officer. Read notice and lease agreement carefully or show the notice to local advocate and consult with him. Without knowing the notice content it is difficult to advice.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert)

A leasehold property cannot be sold like free-hold. There might be terms and conditions of the allotment/lease which according to the department stand violated on the part of your father hence a prior notice has been issued and now it is your turn to reply the same with the help of competent lawyer.

Mr./Ms. Anonymous,
I fully agree and appreciate expert advise of Mr. Raj Kumar Makkad.
Your father has no right or title to sell the leased plot.
Terms and conditions of lease deed are absolutely clear and unambiguous,your father is stated to have kept the plot vacant and did not commence any industrial activity for which it lease was granted, if there is some truth in your story.

It is advisable to consult a local prudent lawyer with relevant documents for better appreciation of facts/ record, professional guidance and necessary proceeding.

Any suggestion depends upon the terms and conditions of the lease.

Hemant Agarwal (Expert)

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE EXPERT'S SUGGESTIONS:
1. Land received via a Lease Deed, is for specific purposes and time limitations & under specific statute.

2. IF perceived project is not started within the time limitations, THEN authority is empowered to seize back the land, without any further reference to the land-alottee.

3. Selling a Leased Land would be a prosecutable offence. However the Lease can be transferred to another holder under the same criteria, by getting an NOC from the relevant authority.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert)

Subsequent lease or say sub-lease is legal only when the lesser has given specific power to lessee in this regard.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert)

If the lease period is expired and no renewal has been done then the lessee has to vacate the premises.
He do not have rights to sell the leasehold property.
He however can sub-lease the premises during the currency of the lease period.

×