LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Return company assets after long absence

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 29 May 2020 This query is : Resolved 
I am terminated due to long absence (which I did not know)

They sent me legal notice to return company assets within 7 days

Today I got to know of the legal notice and today is last day and they may register police FIR for laptop theft.

I dropped them mail how to return the laptop to them but no reply

How to avoid police FIR. please advise.
Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 29 May 2020
Why have you waited for the last day to respond? What is the base of your presumption that the company is going to lodge FIR against you immediately on expiry of 7th day of receipt of the notice?How can you say that police is sitting so idle that instead of understanding the issue properly, shall immediately lodge FIR against you soon after the receipt of the complaint from the company? Do you not know, how a property of others is returned?

Instead of things complicated, personally go to the company and handover entire charge to the concerned officer with due receipt and get their clearance certificate. It is not good to spoil relationship with the previous employer even if you had to elave the job due to some bitter circumstances (if those are).
P. Venu (Expert) 30 May 2020
Is there any constraint in returning the company assets which you are not entitled to keep?
Hemant Agarwal (Expert) 30 May 2020
1. Co. voluntarily gave "Laptop" to you to further your employment duties and you worked on the Co. assignments using the Laptop.

2. You did not steal the said Laptop and neither there was any earlier complaint by Co. of missing laptop.

3. By virtue of above, legally it cannot be construed that you have committed any criminal offence which warrants Police FIR and neither in the above circumstances, Court can prosecute /punish you.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 30 May 2020
It is better, approach the company and return the articles and get the receipt of the same.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 30 May 2020
Sorry, the reply was repeated due to internet / site problem. Regret.

Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 30 May 2020
How and under use of which technique, the unnecessary replies of a particular expert get repeated?
Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 30 May 2020
Admin is requested to kindly correct the system so that top-most expert of us may not suffer such difficulty in almost all postings which either get repeated or more and more create the necessity to create more and more threads.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 31 May 2020
Handover the laptop and other items to the employer without further delay.
There is no offence of theft of laptop in the instant case, it was issued to you by the company.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 31 May 2020
Sometime during the day (once or twice) system repeats replies. Other experts have felt such problem. If the Admin corrects, would be thankful for help.

Replies in two threads were repeated, were posted nearly same time.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 31 May 2020
Thank you for all the replies . It certainly helped understanding the matter.
I received reply to return the assets on 1 June. So I will return it and hope the matter gets resolved.
I will get some clearance proof from them as well ,as advised.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 31 May 2020
You are welcome, may revert in case any further question regarding the query.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 01 June 2020
You have to return.

FIR can be there even if your return. They may keep quite if they get property back. But they have no choice if you do not return.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 01 June 2020
you are silent as to what were company assetts.
Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 01 June 2020
You understood the advice properly is a sign of the fact that we are on right track.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 01 June 2020
Sudhir sir , company laptop and ID card are the company assets they asked for,
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 01 June 2020
You can return the same on receiving acknowledgement.
Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 01 June 2020
Company or any individual has a right to demand its property back as and when required.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query