New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Civil law

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 03 July 2021 This query is : Resolved 
hi sir recently i have inform that my grand father(nana) have left some legacy for me .but when i read the legacy paper he used my second name that he used for called in house . can it create a problem for me ?? how i can solve this problem please perusal on this problem
SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Expert) 03 July 2021

If the will is not your name then it will not survive against the objections of opposite parties. Show will to local advocate and consult with him.
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 03 July 2021
Whether your grandfather (nana) is alive or not mentioned. I opine that if he is no more, you have to prove that you are the beneficiary of the will. You have to a notarised Affidavit stating that your actual name and pet name(called in the house) belong to you and if necessary get to be published in Gazette. Hence consult a local lawyer.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 04 July 2021
The name mismatch may create problems to enforce the Will.
You may adopt the steps or legal procedures for name change at once in order to avoid multiplicity of procedures at a later stage.
You can prepare an affidavit duly notarized stating that you are known by both the names and both the names denote one and the same person.
You may get a public notice published in two local newspapers to this effect, keep the copies of the documents along with the Will to solve the problems that may arise in future due to this name mismatch.
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 04 July 2021
Well advised by experts Kavksatyanarayana and T. Kalaiselvan .I agree with them.
P. Venu (Expert) 04 July 2021
To my knowledge, in a Will, what matters is the intention of the testator. As such, it is no consequence that your grandfather, in his Will, mentioned your pet as he used to address you. Is there any other grandson of the very same pet name or real name?
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 04 July 2021
Although experts have advised / obliged on basis of presumptions which I agree and may suit you, however, it is better to consult a local prudent lawyer for proper appreciation of facts / documents and professional advise.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now