LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Buying a property

(Querist) 29 August 2017 This query is : Resolved 
is aadhar card mandatory for NRI in buying a residential property in India?
Ms.Usha Kapoor (Expert) 30 August 2017
If you check the Aadhaar official website you will see that they clearly state that any individual who is a resident of India and satisfies the verification process required can apply for Aadhaar Card. It further states that Aadhaar is not meant to establish Indian Citizenship nor is it only for Indians.To view their website go to: Moving on to your situation, even though Aadhaar card can be obtained by foreigners, they must be residents of India. As an NRI you are not a resident and hence do not technically qualify for Aadhaar, unless of course you give up your NRI status and start living in India. So Obtaining Adhar card isn't mandatory for NRIs for buying property in India.
P. Venu (Expert) 30 August 2017
What is the real problem?
Adv. Yogen Kakade (Expert) 30 August 2017
Rightly answered by Ushaji
sharad (Querist) 30 August 2017
Actually, my son is in USA since 2006 and is Green Card holder. I am staying in Gandhinagar (Gujarat). He wants to buy a property in Ahmedabad but the builder says that Aadhar Card is compulsory for registration. When we inquire Aadhar Card official website, it says that he is not eligible to apply for the card. Therefore, my query is how can NRI buy residential property in India? Is it compulsory to have an aadhar card for property registration? If his is the second name in order, still aadhar is compulsory?
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 30 August 2017
NRI can purchase property in India, please discuss with local lawyer.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 02 September 2017
There is no bar/restriction on purchase of property in India (except few states like J & K, Himachal etc.) by a NRI, there is no need to have aadhar card. If someone demands, seek provision of law and challenge the same in Court through a local lawyer.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query