LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Society fine

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 14 July 2021 This query is : Resolved 
The Society in Mumbai levied fine on me claiming I questioned secretary on irregularities.
Secretary claimed this as defamation and they put fine in GBM.
The fine amount is 25000/-.

Does society/secretary have power to levy fine for defamation ?
What are my options ?
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 14 July 2021
Verify your society bylaws. You can complain to the Deputy Registrar/Assistant Registrar of Cooperative Housing societies/ RERA against the Committee.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 15 July 2021
The society can not levy any such fine, it is illegal and invalid, challenge it before concerned Registrar / competent court.
Consult a local lawyer for better appreciation of facts and professional advise.
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 15 July 2021
Registered or unregistered Society has no power to impose any fine on it's members nor can recover any such fine it is illegal and arbitrary act of society. Challenge it before Registrar Co- Operative Societies.
P. Venu (Expert) 15 July 2021
Yes, it is impossible that the Society has the legal authority to impose such fines.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query