LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Meter required for tendents

(Querist) 20 April 2024 This query is : Resolved 
I have a building which has 5 room on a floor and is given to different tendents. It has domestic connection and now the company is turning that meter into comercial connection and imposed a huge amount of fine saying that it is illegal use of meter. Your renting room is a comercial work and you need to convert.
What to do about this?
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 20 April 2024
If the building has commercial activities in any room of the building, it requires a commercial meter. So you show some proof from which period this domestic building was converted into a commercial.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 20 April 2024
Since the building is let out on rent for commercial purposes it becomes your duty to get it converted by complying with necessary formalities in this regard immediately to avoid paying heavy penalties as the delay stretches more and more
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 21 April 2024
Immediately get converted the connection commercial so that electric company may not take any unhappy action against you.
Renting out your house per se cannot/shall not be termed a commercial activity, had you given it for domestic use by a family or bachelors staying therein. In your query, you haven't mentioned the activity/ies of the tenants(maybe five of them). What exactly are they utilizing the rooms taken on rent from you? The decision of the Electricity Department/Company depends upon the Tenants' activity but is not based on the existing connection, which you inform as domestic. Therefore, approach the Electricity Department/Company for conversion into commercial connection with separate meters for each Tenant and let them pay their respective Electricity Bill.
If a building is being used for commercial purposes, not only the Electricity Department, Municipality also shall impose higher rent treating it as commercial property.
Devils Dad (Querist) 21 April 2024
2 floor are given for family and 2 floor are for bachelor in which only 3-4 rooms are filled
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 21 April 2024
The local civic body rulings to be complied with or else they may seal the building.
P. Venu (Expert) 26 April 2024
The electricity connection cannot be classified as commercial only if it is under commercial use, not because it has been rented out. The action of the company is unjustifiable if the premises continues to be used for residential purpose.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now