LAW Courses

Anonymous   23 November 2021 at 12:28

Urgent help-misselling insurance to 80+ yr old

Little lengthy - but its urgent- kindly guide me.

BRIEF NOTE BEFORE DETAILS: Main reason for posting here is because someone from the Ombudsman office (Assistance Secretary to Ombudsman (A.S.O), who was with the judge in the hearings) has been calling me several times asking me (literally threatening) to withdraw the cases and settle with a compromise with the Insurance company (the terms of which he will speak to company and arrange) or else I will not receive any refund and cases will be reversed. Inspite of that I went ahead with the hearings based on someone's suggestion.

BACKGROUND
My father is 80+ and suffering from Alzheimer's/dementia. He receives a pension of 25K per month. Prior to the diagnosis of his disease, he fell victim to mis-selling of 13 insurance policies by 2 agents in just 2 yrs time - total premium around 25Lac p.a for 5 - 6 years. From what the doctor told and from learning more about Alzheimer's, it is clear that he had serious memory decline already at that time and was not in a position to handle financial decisions. The agents have misguided him heavily as he was not in a position to oppose when they were dumping policies to him. My parents were staying in different location at that time and I was not aware of any of his finance etc.

They are all life insurance policies given in the names of me, my sister, my mother and my daughter. In some cases agents have filled wrong salary and rental income details in the proposal form for myself and my sister whereas both are home-makers and have no personal income. I was not aware that so many policies were given and secondly my father had told they were like FD to avoid tax from some maturity amount he received so I thought it was only one time investment. After 2 years,( in 2019-2020) the policies started lapsing and by this time my father had total memory loss and is not in a position to even remember anything. I got to know all this when I started receiving several calls on my fathers mobile for premium payment. After a lot of research I understood that the agents had sold policies knowing somehow about his maturity money and must have definitely known that he cannot pay more that 2 yrs premium.

First I raised complaint with the companies. Some 5 polices have been cancelled and refunded by the company itself, these are lower value polices < 1 lac per annum.

For the others where the company refused to cancel and refund, I had raised complaint earlier this year with the local Insurance Ombudsman and the Policies have now started to come up for hearing with ombudsman, on different dates.
1) In the first case, policy is in the name of my daughter with my father as proposer. Ombudsman asked to refund the amount due to some technical mistake in selling- grandfather to grand daughter
2) Second policy, in my mother's name (she is the proposer and life assured, currently 69yr old) In this 3 premiums totally 2.4 lacs have been paid. The judge said since my fathers name is not involved in this, he cannot treat this policy like the first one. He has ordered the company to make it a single premium policy.
3) In the third policy, my sister is the proposer and life assured. Premium around 2.5Lacs Half yearly and 3 premiums have been paid. My sister is uneducated and no personal income. The judge questioned the company how they could give policy to someone with no capacity to pay premium - sum assured is 50Lacs. They have given them 2 days time to contact the broker company and come up with the explanation. I am waiting for the ombudsman decision.

My queries:
1. In the case where policy is converted to single premium, will the insurance company deduct some amount as administration charges etc or is the full amount taken for premium.
(The ombudsman did not mention about any deduction but the A.S.O who called me again after hearing said there will be deduction.)
2. Given the heavy mis-selling, should the judge not order for refund all amount even if it is in the name of my sister or myself. He said he would not treat all cases same as they are in different names.
3. The policy in my name is nearly 7 Lac per annum premium. And 2 yrs premium paid. The A.S.O has warned me again for this that if I go for hearing, the ombudsman will reject my case as I am educated. So he said he will talk to company and settle something and I should withdraw with compromise. Is he guiding me correctly?

continue Answer now
Anonymous   23 November 2021 at 12:26

>>>

BACKGROUND

My queries:

continue Answer now
Anonymous   19 November 2021 at 15:29

Trust related

Hello
I wanted to know what is the process of resigning as a managing trustee and transferring the same post to one of the trustees, also there is no resignation clause in the trust deed? Kindly suggest the legal methods to do the same

continue Answer now
K PALANIVEL   29 October 2021 at 17:10

Central govt standing counsel opinion

Against the Sub-Court's judgement in Tamilnadu in a Land Acquisition Case, The Central Govt Standing Counsel has opined to a Government Department that it is not a fit case for appeal.

Whether can we overlook the opinion given by Central Govt Standing Counsel.

Kindly clarify.

continue Answer now
DEEPAK DHAMEJA   15 October 2021 at 14:06

Non-hawking zone

IF OUR LOCAL BODY DECLARES ONE STREET AS NON HAWKING ZONE
THEN I WANT TO ASK FROM YOUR SIDE THAT THEN IT IS WHO S RESPONSIBILITY TO MAINTAIN AS NON HAWKING ZONES ??
AND WHAT IS THE ROLE OF POLICE IN THAT (CITY AS WELL AS TRAFFIC)
THANKS

continue Answer now
jobstervijay   08 October 2021 at 20:37

Mpsc and upsc need help

mpsc = maharashtra public service commision
upsc- union public service commsion
I am age 38 open category

1)
mpsc have age limit of 38 ,last time they announces exam at 2019 and nothing later 2 years
now they announced exams but I am age bar that also by 3 days

please guide me there way to put STRONG ,ephasise on strong PIL toincrease age limit for candidate who are serious and age bar due to corona

I need steps
I cant file petitions and sign as I stay in different state right now and not touch with other mpsc students

2) divyang shreni

I have dvt ,venus thrambiosis
in usa its considered divyang but in India not

I need to put case for put it in divyang shreni

continue Answer now
Brijesh   01 October 2021 at 14:39

Bhogwatadar -1 land records

Dear sir, I have an agricultural land and we paid 50% of ready reckoner to convert the navin Sharat to bhogwatadar 1. The order from tha tasildar says bogwatadar 1 but on the saat bara it is mentioned navin sharat is converted to junni sharat and the word bhogwatadar 1 is not mentioned on the 712. Now I want to sell it and the purchasers lawyer is insisting on getting the 712 updated by adding the word bhigwatadar 1 on the 712.
This involves getting a new order from the paranth office which again is a huge cost.
Sir, I just wanted to know whether this excercise is necessary. Or will junni sharad do. The vendors lawyer claims that the pmrda will create impediments at the time of building a farm house and will demand again 50% of ready reckoner for building permission.
Can you please clarify this.
Thank you so much

continue Answer now
srj7566#   26 September 2021 at 17:12

Govt job with regular course (b.e.)

Hello sir I am Railway employee working since 2014 , I have completed my BTech regular without intimating my employer . My enrollment in BTech was in 2013 and completes in 2017 along with the railway service. I know sir this is illegal but sir I am Traped in this situation please sir take me out . I am very helpless and very worried.
1.how would I utilise this degree in other government job .
2.what action will be taken against me if I join another government , if employer knows my previous misconduct.

continue Answer now
GOVINDAN RAMAMURTHY   22 September 2021 at 08:41

Eligibility to contest election soon after flat purchase

In a Thane Co-operative Housing Society, a couple had purchase a flat in September 2021, in which wife name first and husband name stands second in the Agreement. Their names have been transferred in the Share Certificate. Husband wanted to apply for Associate Member and he wanted to contest the forthcoming election to be conducted by Housing Society having members less than 250. Can he contest the election now or he has to wait till their names approved in next year AGM. Please kindly advise.

continue Answer now
Mahesh Patel   02 September 2021 at 09:56

Pan card of society member

dear sir in my society have 10 members group to development of societies work like water supply and electricity supply maintenance, and road development etc so that they need to pan card for open bank account so which document have require to new pan card
thanks

continue Answer now