Apartments belonging to my now deceased father

This query is : Resolved 

Online (Querist)
17 October 2020

My father passed away last month,he has 2 apartments to his name. My mother, myself and my sister live in one of the apartments while the other is vacant.. He had no will so I was wondering what would be the procedure to transfer the apartments to my mother's name. Also, is there any drawback if I don't do this right away, is there any time limit ?
Is there going to be a problem if the apartments stay in my dead father's name ? We don't plan to sell either anytime soon.
We're all Hindu by faith and it's just me, my sister and our mom in the family.
Awaiting your response, thank you

Rajendra K Goyal Online (Expert)
17 October 2020

It is not mandatory to get these transferred immediately in the name of legal heirs, yet sooner is better.

Isaac GabrielOnline (Expert)
17 October 2020

No illegality in retaining the flats which is in the name of your fathet.It automatically devolves on legal heirs.Neverthless transfer it as sooner as possible.

kavksatyanarayanaOnline (Expert)
17 October 2020

Yes. Agreed with the above learned experts.

Dr J C VashistaOnline (Expert)
18 October 2020

Get the properties transferred in the name of all 3 of you as legal representative, which you are entitled equal share.
It would help you for better administration of properties left behind by deceased.

P. Venu Online (Expert)
18 October 2020

The death of the father, the property is jointly vested with all the legal heirs. Of course, names in municipal or revenue records are of no consequence; still it may become a point of botheration at a later time. The best option is executing a settlement died on mutually agreed terms and carrying out the mutation on that basis.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now



IPC Grand Course     |    x