Son and his wife harassing me for property

This query is : Resolved 

Online (Querist)
11 April 2021


Our town fall under the Raebareli district of uttar pradesh. My husband use to work in state government and we built our house in the town. Also we have farming land and one shop. Shop is bought by my husband and farming land is from ancestors. Now my husband is no more, he died almost 14 years ago. Around 8 years ago my elder son does intercaste marriage against my will and his wifes parents will. His wifes parents were also not interested in this marriage and they also broke all the realtions from their daughter. My husband had given all the farming land for farming to smal, local farmers who use to give 50% crop share to us , same farming arrangement is continuing till now. After my husband's death my elder son has started keeping all the amount after selling the crop and not giving single rupee to me or even to my other two sons. I ignored this as I never wanted any dispute in the family. But now he has starting harassing me. Many time he came home drunk and started fighting and quarrelling with me. I am diabetic and BP patient. He wants to take all the property and mastermind is his wife.
I want to disown him from all the properties and from the house which me and my husband built.

Please suggest what action I should take as I have a fear that he and his wife may start harassing me more. And their intention is to harass me to the death so that they can capture all the property.

Thanks and regards

Asgher MahdiOnline (Expert)
11 April 2021

At the out set, you need to explore which law Hindu Successions or any personal law govern to you in respect of partition? Further, it is immaterial to the context whether you son got inter-caste marriage against the wishes of their parents in respect of your query herein. As per se, Indian succession act your son claims for the partition is lawful and i s not clear the said property comes HUF management. Even though, women kartha as you cannot manage it but male members of the family has to manage it. Now, the questions of your share, you can claim your share in your husband property to the extent of lawfully mentioned. As per your alleged query, the said son is not paying any incomes out of the property, the other share holders brothers/sisters can claim it but as sought he cannot be deny his share by you as a mother.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900Online (Expert)
11 April 2021


Disowning son from husband's property is not possible. As he is also one of the legal heirs for the husband's property and ancestral land. You and your other sons along with your elder son are the legal heirs of your husband's property. So you and your other sons can legally claim income from ancestral property. Filing partition suit is the best option for you.

kavksatyanarayanaOnline (Expert)
11 April 2021

Yes. I agree with the learned expert's advice. And one more thing you stated that "the house built by you and your husband". Whether is it with your personal income and your husband's income or it is purchased with your name and your husband's name? However, it is better to divide the properties by all the legal heirs i.e. you and your sons, or file a partition suit in a court of law.

Advocate Bhartesh goyalOnline (Expert)
11 April 2021

Yes, filing partition suit for all properties ( ancestral and self acquired ) is best solution not only for you but also for your other son.

ashok kumar singhOnline (Expert)
12 April 2021

I agreed with views of earlier experts. prefer your Suit for Partition.

Mrs R ChowdharyOnline (Querist)
12 April 2021

Dear All, thanks for your advice. One more doubt I have. Can i give my portion of share to any of my son or daughter.

Shilesh PatelOnline (Expert)
12 April 2021

Yes, Mrs. R Chowdhary, you can give only your share to any of the son or daughter your willing to.

Mrs R ChowdharyOnline (Querist)
13 April 2021

Thanks dear shailesh, I hope once legally, I give my share to any of my son or daughter then elder son who has been troubling me can not claim anything from my portion given to my daughter or any other son. Please suggest.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x