LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Proof of title

(Querist) 14 April 2019 This query is : Resolved 
Our property at new Delhi stood in the names of my parents (being joint owners). After my parent's demise, I have got the property transfered to my name. L&DO (Land & Devalopment Office, New Delhi) issued me the SUBSTITUTION LETTER showing the details of the said property and the ownership change from my parents names to my name.

Now my question is ...
1) Is this SUBSTITUTION LETTER a valid PROOF-of-TITLE in legal sense??
2) The said SUBSTITUTION LETTER, being a Govt. document, can another Govt.
department OR a scheduled bank raise doubts about it's genuineness and refuse to
honour it ??

Your valuable advice and comments please.

regards ...MKW (2103h/14-04-2019).
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 15 April 2019
It is legal and valid document.
However, get the property mutated in your favour in the record of L & D O, New Delhi.
Vijay Raj Mahajan (Expert) 15 April 2019
The letter is issued after making necessary changes in the record of L&DO, Delhi, the mutation in the Municipality records can be done with the help of the letter, no further documentation required.
SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Expert) 15 April 2019
Substitution Letter is valid proof of title. Any bank or govt. department cannot raise doubt about genuineness.
MANOR (Querist) 16 April 2019
@ Vashista Ji, Thanks for your reply. L&DO has two different set of application formats. One is for MUTATION & other for SUBSTITUTION. I did ask this question from L&DO officers, as to "what is the difference between the two". What I was told is, that Mutation applies to when the property changes hands for some 'CONSIDERATION'. However, in my case property transfer took place on legal heirship basis (I being the ONLY CHILD to my parents & my parents having expired without making any will - INTESTATE).

Hence, the property STANDS TRANSFERED to my name in L&DO records. ONLY the difference is that it is called SUBSTITUTION by L&DO. (In layman's terms, it is equivelant to Mutation)

@ Vashista, @ Vijay Raj Mahajan & @ Shirish Pawar, Thanks to all three of you, Sir.

I had no doubts about my SUBSTITUTION LETTER. I took this 2nd. opinion BECAUSE, a house in our property was taken on RENT (vide a proper LEASE Agreement) by a scheduled Bank for their staff (for residential purpose), many years ago from my parents when they were alive. After my parent's demise & having got the property transfered to my name (as per the standard procedure of L&DO), when I approached the Bank (our tenant), based on this SUBSTITUTION LETTER, Bank REFUSED to HONOUR it .!!.The reason given by the Bank was, that "the Bank has NO AUTHORITY to VERIFY the SUBSTITUTION LETTER issued by L&DO". And citing this reason, the Bank is refusing to RECOGNISE me as it's landlord. I wanted to COMMUNICATE with the Bank in the CAPACITY of the LANDLORD, as my parents were doing, when they were alive.

However, this stand-off is continuing even after many month's of my efforts.

My Question: Without going legal, is there any way to IMPRESS on the Bank, that it's STAND is INVALID ??

Your advice please. .... Regards .... MKW ( 1333h/16-04-2019).

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query