Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Joint ownership of flat in a coop housing society

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 12 March 2021 This query is : Resolved 
My husband and me jointly took a housing loan and purchased a flat in navi mumbai. My husband is the first owner and his name stands first in the loan agreement, sale agreement, share certificate and my name stands second in all documents.

I want to know the following as a joint owner of the property:

1, Do I as a joint owner have any rights to question the working of the committee... Should i route all my queries only through my husband. According to the committee I have absolutely no rights as a joint owner.

2. Can i examine all the documents in our society without my husband consent?

3. If elections in our society have never been legally held for over 20 years and the Treasurer and Chairman continue their post without ever resigning whom should I take up this issue ?

This is very distressing for me, since I find that committee members just do as they wish, and my husband being peace loving does not say anything.

Looking forward to your valuable advice at the earliest.
P. Venu (Expert) 13 March 2021
The rights, as mentioned, depends upon your status of membership in the Society.
SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Expert) 13 March 2021

As your name stands second in the society share certificate you are an associate member. The associate member does not have any rights and privileges of active member.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 14 March 2021
As a joint member in the CHS you can avail all the rights, previlages and liabilities of a member excluding "right to vote" which can be exercised by "first" member. However, he can authorise you to cast vote on his behalf.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 14 March 2021
You can inspect all the documents, records and accounts of the Society as a joint member.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 14 March 2021
For any illigality or irregularity observed in the functioning of the Soceity you should submit written complaint(s) to State Registrar of Cooperative Societies.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 17 March 2021
Thank you for your valuable feedback Dr J C Vashista

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query