LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Filing income tax return on behalf of a person incarcerated

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 03 January 2021 This query is : Resolved 

Is it possible to file an income tax return (offline/online) on behalf of a family member who is incarcerated?

If yes, what is the easiest way to do so, without requiring to have some sort of documents signed from the person incarcerated?

Sorry for being anonymous, but it is necessary.

Thank you.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 03 January 2021
Why the person is not able to sign the documents?
In online filing signatures of assesses are required only if ITR V is to be forwarded by post.
If the return is verified through Aadhar Card registered mobile no., there would be no need of the signatures of Assesses.
For offline filing, signatures of assesses is required.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 03 January 2021
Due to COVID-19, meeting the incarcerated persons is not allowed.

Is it possible for me to give a self declaration while filing the income tax return on behalf of the incarcerated family member, and file the return offline since Aadhar is not linked with any mobile number?
P. Venu (Expert) 04 January 2021
What is the source of income for such a person?
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 04 January 2021
No such self declaration by third party would be valid while filing IT Return on behalf of other person.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 05 January 2021
The ITR has to be filed by individual and not by a third party.
However, it is better to consult a chartered account.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query