LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dowry before marriage

(Querist) 04 August 2017 This query is : Open 
Hello sir,
I am b. Tech passed student and my marriage date has fixed on November. But I don't want to marry that girl because of compatibility issue. She is typical village type girl, I think if I marry with this girl we both will not be happy in future but her father is not understanding these things and they are also threatening us for police case. And I receive gift 2.5 lacs in my bank account from their side for spending in wedding Hall and etc. What should I do plz help me out?
Ms.Usha Kapoor (Expert) 04 August 2017
If pathologically hate her don't marry her. On the other hand i s your objection is only of her not being educated after marriage also you can make her go for higher studies either regular or through distance education you can make here acquire her degrees and and English -proficiency etc.The ball is in your court.IN case you're seriously thinking of not marrying her return the Rs.2.5 lacs given by the girl's father.
Ms.Usha Kapoor (Expert) 04 August 2017
If you appreciate the above answer please click like button.
Sah (Querist) 04 August 2017
Thanks Usha man,
I am ready to return money but what if they file a case against me?
Ms.Usha Kapoor (Expert) 04 August 2017
You've got to fight with winning spirit.
Sah (Querist) 04 August 2017
I want to know can they file a Dowry case?
Ms.Usha Kapoor (Expert) 04 August 2017
you return under proper written acknowledgement the amount of Rs.2.5 lac to girls father as advised by me earlier.`When you don't like the girl because of her village background and decline their offer of their daughter's hand to you in marriage where is the question of paying dowry?Even if they file such dowry cases fight them with a winning spirit to prove your innocence.
Guest (Expert) 04 August 2017
A precise good advise by Ms.usha kapoor
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 04 August 2017
You should return the money through Banking channel. You can send cheque to them through registered post through your lawyer.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 05 August 2017
Well advised by experts, return the amount through banking channel and be bold enough to say "spade" a "spade".
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 05 August 2017
Well advised by experts, return the amount through banking channel and be bold enough to say "spade" a "spade".
Guest (Expert) 05 August 2017
As Per "Dowry Prohibition Act-amended in 1984"for any dowry demanding/accepting Cases the Punishment fine not less than Rs.15000/- and imprisonment up to 5 years.The Advocate of your fiancee would advise her better.
Guest (Expert) 05 August 2017
You should have made your refusal to marry her before accepting/demanding the money.Now Law could teach you a Lesson
alexander (Expert) 05 August 2017
So long the Hindu marriage is governed by the Hindu marriage Act, it is no longer a matter of Sanskar but a matter of contract. The party of the second part may even file a suit for specific performance, and/or damages for breach of contract, and for the trauma ad the loss of face . The moment you accepted 2,5 lakh rupees ( no mean sum) you were bound by your word to go the whole hogs.Supposing you had noticed some lacuna in her education or conversely she discovers some lacuna or lack of moral will in you , you cannot just return the gifts and say good bye to each other.
Education doesn't stop at marriage. Speaking English is no guarantee of the speaker being mature,loyal,wise and sincere. Education can continue no matter where ever you may be

So think it over coolly . Consult your parents. Put yourself in the girl's position. A gentleman's word is his promise. , What do our SHAASRAS SAY on the subject,


After deep introspection and consultations with your parents seek the permission of the girl's parents and in their presence of the young lady. Compensate them well not only for the interest but for all the ceremony of Engagement etc. Mind you this is not legal advice but a suggestion for righteous conduct

Sah (Querist) 08 August 2017
Thanks Alexander sir but what is legal advice? Because I don't know girl's father is not saying anything clear what they want and he is taking support of baba (tantra mantra) thing now u can think what they are. Tell me some legal advice
Kumar Doab (Expert) 12 August 2017
Start recording all calls, meetings.
With help of elders of the family try to resolve amicably and return the money thru banking channels...........
Sah (Querist) 14 September 2017
Sir plz help me out now from girl side they demanding 3 lakhs rupppes extra for solving this and they are saying if we won't give extra 3 lacs then they will file case against me and my family what should I do.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query