LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

choosing right profession

(Querist) 25 September 2009 This query is : Resolved 
Dear Sirs

I have just obtained degree in LL.B. from Mumbai University (in September 2009) as an ex-student.

I am already working in a private firm which has no much legal work and seek your guidance about choosing the profession. As per the rules of Bar Council, if I enrol myself as an Advocate, I will have to leave my present job. But i am too much interested in offering my services as an Advocate.

My problem is I am married, 44 years old lady and the only earning member in the family, my husband has lost his job, so cant afford to leave the present job unless i get other job with handsome salary. If I dont enrol myself with Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa, how can i use my legal degree and my interest and abilities. Are there any firms who appoint legal assistants etc with good salary? At present I am drawing Rs. 12,000/- per month. I require a job which can give me such amount of salary.


Thanks and with kind regards

Mrs. Trupti Patil
R.R. KRISHNAA (Expert) 25 September 2009
You cannot work in a concern (as employee on roll) and practice law as a lawyer at the same time. It is prohibited as per the rules of advocates act AND ALSO PUNISHABLE.

If you are interested to practice law, you need to wait for minimum 7-8 years (from now on) to find good income and growth in the profession as a lawyer.

Looking at your situation, it would be wise for you to continue your present job in the private firm itself. Otherwise you can get some legal jobs like Legal Manager or Legal Officer etc in corporates(companies) which will fetch you more salary (steady income) than what you receive now.


Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Expert) 25 September 2009
patil sab,
simpily my view for u is BEST OF LUCK
Jithendra.H.J (Expert) 25 September 2009
I agree with Krishna!

a person needs at least 7 to 10 years to get success in this profession, the initial years needs somebody's financial support.

it is better for you to coninue the job you are doing now.
Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 25 September 2009
Madam I suggest you to join a legal professional firm wherein you shall be entitled to receive a fixed remuneration and on the other hand may also use your degree as an advocate. there are various famous legal professional firms which engage advocates and pay them fixed remuneration. You may earn both fixed income and experience at the same time.
Sachin Bhatia (Expert) 25 September 2009
It is better for you to search for a good law firm in which you get a fixed salary. These days so many Law firm offering good remuneration for freshers.
Adinath@Avinash Patil (Expert) 25 September 2009
You have stated that you are the only earning member in your family.In this circumstances my suggestion is that if you enroled with bar council as an advocate you have to resign you present job.In legal profession there is waitng perod of 5to 7 year in said perod you will not earned for your basic need.If you have financial support you must join legal profession otherwise you don't join legal profession.
I am not dicuraging you butyou should know reality of life.
If you choose legal profession this profession is challengig,you have to do hardwork for success.
Bhumik Dave (Expert) 26 September 2009
Agreed with mr. Raj and Sachin.
adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (Expert) 26 September 2009
All the learned members have advised you rightly.
It is better to join good law firm for good salary.
I think Goa is the best place
Mrs. Trupti Patil (Querist) 26 September 2009
Heartily thanking you Dear All learned and experienced advocates and well wishers for showing me a right way towards the profession.


You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :