Change of signature

I am a NRI living in the Philippines currently, and will be shifting to the Netherlands for higher education but my passport needs to be renewed soon. I have recently turned 18 and the signature on my passport is very old and outdated because I signed it when I was a child. I have seen multiple sites recommend I use an Affidavit for signature change, but those also included informing my bank, etc. I don't have any bank or license or other legal documents from India, just my passport do I still need the Affidavit for just the passport? And if so how could I apply for it from the Philippines because I can't travel to India.

Thanks in advance.

Your passport is valid and you can travel. The authorities if needed verify your signature as afresh, if there is no material change in details.

Suraj SatishOnline (Querist)

Yes but when I renew my passport next year would I need an Affidavit to change the signature on it? Because for legal documents I am not unable to replicate that old signature and my signature should match the one on my passport

Being an adult NRI it would be better to consult a local prudent lawyer for appreciation of facts /documents, professional advise and necessary proceeding.

At the time of renewal, officials will do the needful without driving ypu anywhere

Passport is renewed based on particulars entered on the old passport if renewal sought within time.

There would be any problem due to signatures is doubtful.

You can contact embassy in Netherland for renewal stamp of the passport if it is due for renewal during your stay there.

In my understanding, the relevant aspect as to signature is whether it is in that person handwriting. The question of matching specimen or earlier signature is applicable only in a financial transaction.
Of course, it is possible that other countries have different norms.

Usually, the signature of a person normally changes with some difference. Hence in many forms, the concerned will take three specimen signatures. so a normal change is not a problem. The passport authorities may not verify your old signature with your present signature.

Suraj SatishOnline (Querist)

Alright thank you all

You are welcome, may revert for further question on the query.

×