LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Succession letter

(Querist) 19 March 2023 This query is : Open 

My father got expired in feb 2022 he got agriculture land on his name. We are one brother and two sister. We had applied to transfer the land on all three of us name as mother expired along ago with all the necessary documents
The property is in Rajasthan i live in Mumbai sisters are in delhi the Tahsildar of Rajasthan said I will write a letter to rahilsdar mumbai after all enquiry will transfer the land to ur name. Now the tahilsadar of Mumbai is asking for succession letter.

Succession letter is compulsory?
What is the alternative and other ways to get property on our name because succession is long process and expensive
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 19 March 2023
The succession certificate shall be obtained from the court of law.
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 19 March 2023
Succession certificate is issued by authority to a person for the purpse to collect deceased securities and debt ( movable ) due to him and not for immovable properties .Tahsildar can't ask succession certificate of deceased but can enquire about legal heirs of deceased and ask for heirship certificate.

sandesh (Querist) 19 March 2023
Heirship certificate and succession is same
sandesh (Querist) 19 March 2023
In Mumbai tahilsadar asked to present succession certificate
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 20 March 2023
Legal heir certificate will be issued by the Tahsildar and the succession certificate/letter shall be obtained from a court of law.
P. Venu (Expert) 21 March 2023
With the demise of the father, the property has devolved upon the legal heirs i.e. you and the sisters. The local Tahsildar is to carry out the mutation in revenue records after conducting local enquiry. The Tahsildar (or the Mamledar) in Mumbai has no jurisdiction over the matter.
Adv K Rajasekharan (Expert) 21 March 2023
I am providing links to two of my articles on this issue, for better understanding and the first one is at
Adv K Rajasekharan (Expert) 21 March 2023
The second one, based on Kerala statute, is at
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 22 March 2023
The Tahsildar at Rajasthan has no business to refer the matter to Mumbai Tahsildar.
The property is located at Rajasthan.
If your father is reported to have died at Rajasthan then the jurisdictional tahsildar himself can issue the legal heir ship certificate after proper enquiry.
You are either no coming with proper details or trying to pass your time in the name of an irrelevant question. The Tehsildar is not the final authority, if he refuses to furnish the legal heirship certificate then you can always prefer an appeal before the district collector and get your grievances redressed.
What is the reason that you were made to approach Mumbai tehsildar?
You can come out with the details so that you can get proper opinion
sandesh (Querist) 22 March 2023
Thanks T. Kalaiselvan sir

But the tahilsdar in Rajasthan say that their aadar card is of mumbai and delhi so i have to carry this process I will write to tehsildar in Mumbai for future enquiry of heirs after that i will receive any msg from them then only I will transfer land on theri name

My father and we use to live in Mumbai all documents are of Mumbai father expired on hospital in Rajasthan

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query