LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Service tax and vat on redeveloped tenanted room

(Querist) 06 January 2014 This query is : Resolved 
I was living in tenanted building. The landlord of the said building entered an agreement with builder for redevelopment of the said building. I have received new flat in reconstructed building equal to carpet area of old room plus some extra area purchased by me. I have to pay to builder construction cost for carpet area equal to old room and at a market rate for extra area purchased by me.


Whether I have to pay to service tax and VAT to builder if he demands? [In agreement there is no clause regarding payment of service tax.] if yes, then on what amount i.e. full consideration for old area plus extra area purchased or only on consideration for new area.
Devajyoti Barman (Expert) 06 January 2014
Academic query..
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 07 January 2014
1. Academic query.
2. Tax is being paid to the government and not to builder/ landlord, which is not mentioned in the agreement but implied
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 07 January 2014
Academic query.
ajay sethi (Expert) 07 January 2014
we dont reply to academic queries
Rajesh Thakker (Expert) 10 January 2014
If there is no clause for service tax, then it is upon you to give the service tax to builder or not. You have to pay service tax on 40% of value determined by the builder in both type of transaction.
This is because you are availing service from the builder for your flat. Now section is amended, therefore, there is no room to legal avoidance of tax.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 12 January 2014
knowledge gainer can gain the knowledge from the sources and not here.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :