LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Section 138 cheque bounce

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 03 October 2022 This query is : Resolved 
Dear Sir

My daughter had failed in 2 subjects in her Professional University examination of 2nd year by few marks. I was approached by an agent who promised me to get her passed. I gave approx 2 lacs to that agent who promised me to get her passed in rechecking process. He could not get my daughter passed and also did not return my money. On rigorous follow up he gave me a cheque of his proprietorship firm which got bounced just a day back.

Can I file case against him under section 138 of NI Act related to cheque bouncing.

Will the purpose for which the initial money was given be a factor that can go against me in this case . Please suggest.


kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 03 October 2022
You gave him to favour your daughter in an illegal way. So how can you file a case against him on what basis?
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 04 October 2022
No, cheque bouncing case can be initiate by holder when cheque was given to him against any debt or liability but not for on advancing illegal activity.
P. Venu (Expert) 05 October 2022
Yes, no action under NI 138 lies in the light of the given facts.
Pradipta Nath (Expert) 06 October 2022
No S. 138 case made out. Better to engage a good private teacher than engaging brokers. You are a mother. Don't play with your daughter's future.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 08 October 2022
The cheque given by the tour was not for repayment of legally liable debt hence this may not attract the provisions of section 138 MI Act to take action against him for filing cheque bounce case.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query