Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prior permission rule regarding higher education

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 29 July 2020 This query is : Resolved 
Does the rule of prior permission by government servant regarding higher education apply on extension period too?

If an employee take prior permission properly to take admission for example, in Master of Education programme of two years (2014-2016) through distance mode from IGNOU and due to incomplete dissertation work, two years spends. He/she complete his degree in December, 2019, which is permitted by IGNOU ( within three years extension period) and IGNOU issue mark sheet and provisional certificate as well.

Can the department deny to add the higher education into service book of that employee merely he/she didn't take another permission of extension period. I think, when a employee applies for permission, he/she gets permission for whole course instead of time period generally and if there is a provision of extension, he/ she doesn't need to take another permission again for extension period for same course. please suggest
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 29 July 2020
Whether any time frame within which course was to be completed was prescribed by the department in the permission letter.
In the permission letter the fact of open university must be mentioned in your request letter, rules of open university should be applicable.
You should request to higher authorities through proper channel with a direct endorsement mentioning as direct copy of letter sent through proper channel, to add your qualification.
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 29 July 2020
As per me, you have taken permission for two years for the years 2014 -2016. Then if IGNOU permission to till 2019, you shall inform the same to your employer. Now you can submit an explanation to the authority by enclosing the letter of IGNOU.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 30 July 2020
You have stated to have obtained permission for pursuing higher academic qualification for M Ed (2014-16) which couldnot complete for desertation. The course is still half-way and have not been awarded degree, means the permission is still in vogue, which do not require to seek departmental permission again.
You have posted this question as an example, implies it is a fabricated story.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 30 July 2020
What is the real position, whether department has refused to enter your qualification, if so, what are the basis?
P. Venu (Expert) 30 July 2020
In fact, there is no rule having force of law that an employee need to take permission from the employer for joining a course of education. Continuing education is a basic and personal right. And the employee can join any course and continue his education so long as it does not adversely affect the performance of his duties.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 30 July 2020
Government / public sector concerns have their service rules regarding permission for adding qualification during service.

Departments are concerned / take care that the process would not interfere in their official work.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query