LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Name change in 10th, inter, and other government docs

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 28 October 2019 This query is : Resolved 
This is Surya. Currently as per my records my name is J B V V SURYANARAYANA, I want to change my name as SURYA followed by surname. Can you please help me the process to change my name in all the documents.

Thanks in Advance!
KISHAN DUTT RETD JUDGE (Expert) 28 October 2019
Dear Sir,
Please follow the procedure given below.
Step 1 – Affidavit
Go to you local Notary and make an affidavit regarding change of your name. You have to mention therein your specific reason for changing your name. For example, you may like to change your name after marriage (especially for women), due to astrological or numerological reasons or anything. Recently, one of my friends was going to start his own company who was locally famous in his nickname, and thus he changed his name from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Agarwal.
Note: Here is your sample name change affidavit for reference.
Tips: Make a few copies of your affidavit, and preserve the original one carefully. It’s better to scan it, and preserve its electronic copy on your external hard disk as well as on multiple computers.
This affidavit can be used for changing your first or last name and also using the same, you can completely change your name (both first and last name, for example from Rishabh Agarwal to Saurav Verma).
Step 2 – Newspaper Publication
I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).
Full Signature
Fill in the blanks with appropriate details and publish it in your local newspaper.
You can choose any 2 local newspapers for publishing it. (No need for FrontPage coverage). Although you need only once copy but its better to get ten copies of that newspaper in which your statement is published and preserve it carefully, because it’s now a lifetime issue. It’s better to preserve both the hard and scanned copies of the newspaper.
Step 3 – Gazette Notification
Now for getting your name published in the Official Gazette of your state, for example: “The Delhi Gazette”, you need to do the following things:
1. Visit your local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.
2. Get 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form”. (Fill this form carefully as per the instructions provided therein)
3. If possible get the phone number, or the mobile number of the person of that department who can help you for Gazette Notification.
You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State).
1. Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name. (Click here to view sample letter)
2. The “Deed Changing Surname Form”
3. 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.
4. Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.
5. A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)
6. A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.

Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 29 October 2019
It's procedural query, contact and engage a local lawyer for proceeding.
P. Venu (Expert) 29 October 2019
Even if you change your name following the due procedure, still then, to my understanding, the name in the mark-list other educational certificates would not be changed.
Isaac Gabriel (Expert) 30 October 2019
Gazatte Notification is the appropriate procedure.
venkatesh Rao (Expert) 31 October 2019
P. Venu sir is absolutely correct. Change in any educational or other documents can be made in due process of law if and only if the name entered therein were incorrect. Subsequent change in name as narrated above is always prospective and never dates back.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query