IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Joint family property, ancestral property

(Querist) 27 March 2023 This query is : Resolved 
My grandfather and his brother partitioned the property  in the year 1963
My grandfather had 3 sons , partitioned in
the  year 1967,  after the death of my father in the year 1967, my grandfather property transferred to my name instead of my father's name till today from 1967  the property on my name , my grand father were kept  1/4th property for his lovlihood till 1981,  after death of my grand father again 1/4 th  property divided in the year 1983 among 3 sons . now my sister claiming share in my  property,  whether it is ancestral property? I have studied the ancestral property should be un divided since 4 generations old , but partitioned twice means my self ,my father, grandfather, great grandfather? Whether limitation act can apply?
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 27 March 2023
Your grandfather and his brother partitioned the property in the year 1963 and hence the share of your grandfather shall be treated as his self-acquired property and he can do as he likes, therefore, your sister has no right over the property.
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 28 March 2023
After partion of your great grand father's property property became your grandfather's self acquired property and he in his lifetime transferred the same to you so now you are absolutr owner of the property and your sisters have no right anf share in it and legally can't claim any share.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 28 March 2023
Repeated at https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/ancestral-property--748211.asp
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 28 March 2023
Your sister cannot claim any share in the property that was transferred to your name b y your grandfather during his lifetime.
However the 1/4th share of his property is reportedly left behind by your grandfather as intestate, in that she will be eligible to get a share out of your father's share in that property.
P. Venu (Expert) 28 March 2023
Your sister has a share in the 1/4th property. As suggested, the property is not ancestral.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query