FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Increase in rent of shop

(Querist) 22 February 2014 This query is : Resolved 
i am heaving shop on rent since 34 years. my landlord oppose to change furniture in my rental shop. now he said to increase rent from 300 to 2000 !
he is also not providing me receipt of paid rent ! i have 1 reciept of recieved rent of his father of sep 81 to jan 82
i have electric meter on my father's name, telephone bill on my name and Nagar palika assesment certificate since 1983 !
1,i want to know can he increase rent this much ?
2, what is the rule to increase rent ?
Advocate M.Bhadra (Expert) 22 February 2014
In several State in India there are own Premises Tenancy act and the landlord has right to increase the rent as per provision of respective Act which is called "Fair Rent".However you can oppose the same and you can file a case in Rent Controller or Civil Court.
Devajyoti Barman (Expert) 22 February 2014
Apply for determination of fair rent before the rent controller.
If it is prevalent rate at market , then better pay it.
S.QAISAR ALI ADV. (Expert) 22 February 2014
Agreed with mr.M. Bhadra
Dr J C Vashista Online (Expert) 23 February 2014
Since the Rent Control is a state subject which slightly differ, it is better to engage a local lawyer.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 23 February 2014
Study the local rent of shops in the area. If demanded rent is justified better agree for it.

Pay rent by cheque or draft and obtain receipt of it.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 23 February 2014
Just because you have been staying as a tenant for a very longer period, it is unfair to refuse the hike in the rental amount. Consider the rental amount in the surroundings and negotiate with the owner to justify the rental amount, lastly, resort to the legal recourse as advised by experts above.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query