LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hiding Marital status while applying for Govt Job

(Querist) 13 April 2008 This query is : Resolved 
If a lady applies for an engineer post in a public sector undertaking as "unmarried" due to her bad relation with her husband.She has been selected under that category.

Will she face any kind of problem/enquiry/ losing of job, if the same(marital stuatus) comes to the notice of managment.Divorce petition has been filed by her inlaws,after(3months from the date of joining in PSU job).Hearing of the case will be just due in a month's time.

Wont you think as per law,she will be given any mercy for her condition(govt company will not oust her from job and will only take departmental action).

She is fearing for losing her job if her inlaws file a complant against her for her suppression of fact of her marital status.

Can,she reveal proactively to her employers that she has hided this information before her inlwas file any complain.What may happen,please guide

Kiran Kumar (Expert) 14 April 2008
Marital status of a person can not be termed as an essential aspect of everykind of service.....however in jobs with the Armed Forces this may be the condition precedent but in general terms the marital status of a person has no bearing on the job of a my considered opinion she need not to worry since she has not concealed the material information from the officials like her education and qualification...personal life is not to affect the job of an employee, moreover the employer is more concerned about the work and not the personal life...such an information sought in the application form are generally for data collection purposes only.
Rajesh Kumar (Expert) 26 April 2008
Kiran is right- as long as marital status is irrelevant for the job, giving false information regarding this should not affect job prospect.
Nevertheless, since the relation between employee and employer is based on trust, these things should not be done.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query