LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Help & guidance required

(Querist) 10 June 2017 This query is : Resolved 
My sister is married in the year 2014 (arranged marriage) and has a 9 month old daughter. Within few days after her marriage, her husband, without her consent and knowledge, sold all her stridhan given by our parents stating that he had to clear loan taken for marriage. Thus, she has left no stridhan, except those received from in-laws in marriage including 1 small malgalsutra & 4 small items i.e. finger ring, bindiya, payal & challa. Her husband is normally alright with her, unless he drinks and comes home late night after work. When drunk, he abuses & beats her saying that she has not brought much in marriage from her parents. Her main problem is her mother-in-law's behaviour towards her. Her mother-in-law & sister-in-law are fair and beautiful, whereas my sister & her daughter are dark in complexion. Her mother-in-law daily, constantly abuses & insults for not being fair & beautiful and for not bringing much in marriage. Not only that she pulls my sister by her hair, beats her and uses filthy language towards my sister. She constantly keeps on quarreling with my sister.

Recently, my sister’s mother-in-law started quarrel with my sister and gave her filthy names and asked her to leave the house. Her husband was at work. My sister therefore picked up her daughter. However, the mother-in-law asked her to leave without her daughter. So my sister came to our parents’. Then she called her husband and narrated the incidence, upon which he started abusing her and said she must only have said / done something to upset his mother. Next day, he brought their daughter to my sister at our parents’ place and told her to stay there for few days and then he will take them back home after all is settled peacefully. After two days, he called up & told that he and his mother don’t want to take them back and disconnected the phone. After two more days, my sister received a legal notice for restitution of conjugal rights and calling her to return home within seven days. We all were shocked to read the allegations in the notice, saying that my sister has been abusing and torturing her husband and his mother.

My sister wishes to stay with her husband with love and peace. She does not want to make any hue and cry or any issue out of all her sufferings. This is the only reason that she has not yet approached the police, nor has she revealed anything to anyone.

We seek your guidance as to what can be done and what we can do to send her to her husband peacefully.

Thank You.
Dr J C Vashista Online (Expert) 11 June 2017
Be precise and brief.

Discuss with a local lawyer with your complete story.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 11 June 2017
Not able to read the whole story

there is also no need to read the whole

you said

"My sister wishes to stay with her husband with love and peace. She does not want to make any hue and cry or any issue out of all her sufferings. This is the only reason that she has not yet approached the police, nor has she revealed anything to anyone."

Then why you you posting information here. Let be happy the live peacefully (as she thinks to be living). If atrocity is there and she was not want to approach law then let her suffer.

If you suo-motto make a complaint then she will depose in favour of husband and family.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 11 June 2017
So decide if you and your sister has to take action and them return to this forum.
Azhagananth (Expert) 11 June 2017
Approach Lok adalat/Mediation center - file a complaint stating the above and the experts/mediators will give counselling and may rectify the problem..

if rush to police station and file a complaint then every thing will go wrong again, as what your sister husband done in legal notice.

if you keep calm, then they will proceed with case for Divorce or restitution of conjugal rigths against your sister and it will create problems and issues again.

P. Venu (Expert) 11 June 2017
There are ways of solving the issue. But it all depends on your sister, rather her will and attitude.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 11 June 2017
This forum is fully of queries by such persons who sent such notice to wife who escaped torture and the wife filed dowry case (which is made out in this case) and whole family of husband ran from pillar to post.

So I disagree that issue can be solved without going to Thana. I do not see what will go wrong in going to Police when nothing is going right.

1. she is beaten
2. she is deprived of stridhan
3. she is humiliated
4. she is thrown out
5. she is not allowed to take child
6. she is given legal notice when she left on being directed.
7. she is given this notice within short time.

Laws are framed to help such persons only which are stated to be misused.
krishna mohan (Expert) 12 June 2017
Given facts above better approach a legal path with the guidance of legal expert specialized on family matters for protecting your sister interest and rights.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query