Financial maintenance of child.

This query is : Resolved 

21 September 2019

Respected All,
Kindly provide your expert suggestions on a below matter related to my friend.

A couple is separated ( and not interested for legal proceedings) for 7- 8 months without divorce or judicial separation, wherein the child age of 11 living with her father as the mother is deserted both. The father lost his earning source as a need to take care of his child and mother is working but do not provide any financial support for her child even.

Please advice on below points:
1. If the mother is not supporting her child financially, Can we do something about it legally?
2. Is there any judgment which supports this condition or related to this?
3. Is there any law or guidelines which can direct the financial stable mother to support her child?

Any information and guidelines will be a great help in order to save a child's future.
Thanks in advance.


Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Expert)
22 September 2019

Maintenance suit can filled under section 125 Crpc on behalf of child.

Adv Shailendra Deshpande (Expert)
22 September 2019

The father can claim maintenance without giving divorce. But based on the nature of job and financial status and other facts of marital relationships, the application can be decided by the Court.

Dr J C Vashista (Expert)
22 September 2019

Under the provisions of Section 20 of the Hindu Adoption & Maintenance Act,1956 as well as Section 125 of the Criminal Procedure Code, 1973, the child has a right to claim maintenance from his/her parents, whether they are staying together or separate wherein both are equally liable.
Father should move to the Court for and on behalf of minor for maintenance of minor from mother (his estranged wife).
It would be better to consult a local prudent lawyer for better appreciation of facts, guidance and proceeding.
However, if you are located in Delhi/NCR and feel so, may contact me (on appointment) at: Chamber No 647, Lawyer's Chamber Block, Dwarka Courts Complex, New Delhi-110075 Cell # 9891152939 email: or visit:

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Expert)
23 September 2019

Dear piyali,
Father can claim maintenance for himself and for child. For child's maintenance both mother and father are liable.

piyali (Querist)
25 September 2019

I would like to sincerely thank you all for your expert advice on this matter.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :


  LAWyersclubindia Menu

Indian Evidence Act     |    x