Upgrad LLM

Capital gains on gift deed

This query is : Resolved 

Querist : Anonymous (Querist)
23 October 2020

Respected Sir, Madam

For the last 8 years I have been staying at my flat which is presently owned by my grandmother (paternal). She has now decided to gift me this flat. I am US citizen and plan to eventually move back to my home country.

If I sell this property will I be subject to capital gains? If so by what percentage? How can I avoid excessive taxation?

Dr J C VashistaOnline (Expert)
23 October 2020

It would be better to contact and consult a local prudent chartered accountant / taxation lawyer for appreciation of facts/ documents and professional advise. or
Post your query in CA Club for obligation.

Rajendra K Goyal Online (Expert)
23 October 2020

Capital gain tax has to be paid on selling a property which was received by gift.

To minimize the tax burden discuss in detail with some tax consultant.

kavksatyanarayanaOnline (Expert)
23 October 2020

Gift tax shall be paid. If you do not interest to pay tax, your grandmother may execute a Will in your favour which comes to your enjoyment with full rights only after her demise.

Rajendra K Goyal Online (Expert)
24 October 2020

Gift tax is not payable if property is received in gift from lineal ascendant or descendant of the individual. Paternal grandmother is covered.

Hemant AgarwalOnline (Expert)
24 October 2020

1. A Non-Indian citizen holding foreign passport, can accept Gift of immovable property ONLY AFTER obtaining relevant permission of RBI. There are several other parameters applicable on such transactions.

2. Capital Gains of nearly 35% is payable IF sold within Three years of date of Gift Deed. However, this can be 100% exempted IF 100% proceeds are invested in another immovable property within Two years.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now



CrPC MASTERCLASS!     |    x