Can a foreign citizen hold property in india as per law

This query is : Resolved 

Querist : Anonymous (Querist)
25 February 2021

My cousin had purchased 1bhk in 1990 in pune with my parents money but on his name. There is no evidence for me to prove that. My parents have expired. My cousin has got migrated permanently to New Zealand in the year 2000 along with his family, it's now 20yrs for him. Since the year 2000 I am staying in that flat with my family. Since he is a foreign citizen can he hold any property in india as per the law, can he file a case in court against me to vacant the flat. What step can I take to save my shelter for my family. Please advice. I. I am a poor person and my parents have been fooled and cheated. Please help me.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900Online (Expert)
26 February 2021


Your cousin's brother residing abroad can hold in India and he can file cases with respect to the property in Indian courts. You will have to fight out the case if the case is already filed. As per your query, the property is purchased with your father's money however your parents are expired. Please consult with a local expert advocate he may find out some solution for your problem.

Dr J C VashistaOnline (Expert)
27 February 2021

The owner of property can be a citizen of New Zealand.

P. Venu Online (Expert)
27 February 2021

What are the terms on which you are occupying the apartment? Are you paying any rent or lease money? Or, is it that you are just a housekeeper?

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x