LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Agricultural land

(Querist) 09 September 2012 This query is : Resolved 
As i know as a lay man, an NRI can not purchase agriculture land in India in his name. If the family of NRI is settled in india, is land can be purchased in wife's or children's name.

Is there any other way to acquire agricultral land by NRI?

Please advise.

Shailesh Kr. Shah (Expert) 10 September 2012
you are not right in your understanding. So far as, At uttar pradesh, NRI can purchase agricultural land. Only foreign national is not eligible to buy agricultural land at uttar pradesh.
Mohd Asif (Querist) 10 September 2012
Thans for your feedback Mr. Shailesh.

However, this law is applicable across the state or state specific? What about purchasing agri land in Bihar or gujrat etc.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Shailesh Kr. Shah (Expert) 10 September 2012
Law releated to agricultural land is differ from one state to another state of INDIA.

So, consult with local lawyer of concern state.
Anish Thakur 7018812737 (Expert) 10 September 2012
dear querist Mohd Asif,
no person including NRI and even domicile of state can buy a agricultural land without having agriculturist certificate and in certain circumstances govt have powers to give exclusion from these laws on considering the application.but there are many other ways to obtain the agricultural land in all over the on for detailed procedure and laws relating to these permissions.
Shailesh Kr. Shah (Expert) 10 September 2012
Dear Anish Thakur,

At State of Uttar Pradesh, there is no such requirement agriculturist certificate.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 10 September 2012
But I belive as per UP Zamindari abolition act you have to cultivate yourself and not to give land on rent unless you are (i) MP/MLA/Minister (ii) High Court Supreme Court Judge (iii) Speaker/dy speak in partliament or state legislature (iv0 lunatic in asylum (v) Govt employee posted abraod (vi) armed forces person (vii) paramilitary person posted outside state (viii) woman with incapacited husband (ix) minor and some other cateogries.

The above list may need correct as I studied the act very long back.
J K Agrawal (Expert) 10 September 2012
In Rajasthan also there is no such restriction.
Shailesh Kr. Shah (Expert) 06 December 2017
now law is change in uttar pradesh and reply given by me on 10.09.2012, not relevant in this time.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query