LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

return jewellery received from inlaws as gift

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 10 April 2024 This query is : Resolved 
I am a women,in case of divorce,do I have to return the gold ornament received as gift from my in laws?
My family has also given gifts to my husband.plus all the wedding expenses were borne by my family.
My husband is abusive and has abondoned me and my 9 month old baby.He is not taking any financial responsibility.I am working in a pvt company.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 10 April 2024
You are entitled to receive entire jewellery gifted by both parties any time whether before or after divorce. Denial is non-bailable offence.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate Online (Expert) 10 April 2024
As per law it is streedhan.
Streedhan includes all types of gifts, ornaments, cash, movable or immovable property that a woman receives from friends or family before and during her marriage, during childbirth and widowhood.
These gifts include those received from her own family as well as that from her in-laws' family.
Stridhan- Property in which women have the absolute power to enjoy and alienate it without any restrictions.
a woman can file a suit against her husband if he denies returning stridhan property under Section 14 of the Hindu Succession Act, 1956, as well as under Section 27 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.[4]
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 10 April 2024
"Property" includes both movable and immovable property acquired by a female Hindu by gift from any person, whether a relative or not, before, at or after her marriage, or by her skill or by purchase or in any other manner whatsoever, and also any such property held by her as
stridhana. Hence you can file a suit against the husband.
Advocate Bhartesh goyal (Expert) 10 April 2024
You need not to return any gifts ( Gold & Silver ornaments ) to your inlaws in case decree of divorce is passed by court.Gifts which you received before or after marriage is your Stridhan which can not be taken back.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now