Service tax on postage franked

Postage is defined in Indian Post Office Act as "duty for transmission of mail by the Postal Department". Just like Customs Duty. Is Service Tax due on postage?
S. Krishnamoorthy

Repeated query

K.C.Suresh (Expert)

Very interesting question. Government may now think of that. Salt is a part of sea water. If we produce salt from sea water whether tax is applicable. British say yes. Gandhi says No. Postal authority will say yes because it has a british taste still now. Postal department is service deapartment ST will never made applicable. Transport is a service. But in public transport depot there are paid toilets Why? It must be a service, the facility must be free. Electricity is a service. but what is now the fate of the energy. dear Krisnamoorthy I have some strong objections about service tax. The SC said in TN Kalyanamandapam case that service like providing lights, chairs etc in an auditorium is service. Then what not is service. Every thing is service. Breast feeding also will be considered as a service by mother to child. tax is applicable. Feel pitty of the assessment of the situation in india by some. Finally we have to pay service tax to the free air we consume for breathing for the existance of life.

S. Krishnamoorthy (Querist)

Dear Shri Suresh,
Thank you.
But my query still remains unresolved.
Can anybody help?

Agreed with KC Suresh.

Sachin Bhatia (Expert)

Agreed with Mr. K.C.Suresh

×