LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

reg. recovery

(Querist) 05 July 2009 This query is : Resolved 
a married girl dies without issues can their parents recover the dowry from the her husband, if so give me a format
Shashikant V. Patil (Expert) 05 July 2009
Dear Ajin,

First of all giving and taking dowry is an offence as per dowry prohibatin act and hence in this circumstances, it will not work out.
Kiran Kumar (Expert) 05 July 2009
yes u can.

but the court will ask u the source from where u had given the dowry, rightly said by Mr. Patil both giving and acceptance of dowry is an offence.

under what circumstances she died? is a relevant questions.

the gifts given to the relatives and shagun etc. u ll not be able to claim as per the latest SC judgment.

pls refer to Tarsem Singh v/s State of Punjab Criminal Appeal No. 476 of 2005 decided by SC on 12/12/2008
PALNITKAR V.V. (Expert) 11 July 2009
Recovery in legal way can be done if the dues to be recovered arise out of legal transaction. This is the general law.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query