LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nominee, real heir of the money in bank acc and fds?

(Querist) 09 June 2024 This query is : Resolved 
My mother died on 21 April 2021 due to cancer. She had some money in her bank account which was converted into 3 FD's by her as we are three brothers.

Now my younger brother is a nominee on the bank account and the FDs.

I have confirmed that money was in my mother’s account after her death from bank.

Before my mother's death, I was the only Son who was living with for 3 year and taking care and not my other 2 brother's.

As per Law, Nominees can just operate the Bank account but not the real heir of the money. Real heirs are their three sons and my younger brother is refusing to give my share.

Need advice
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 09 June 2024
You can issue a legal demand notice to him to settle your rightful share out of the FD amount, failing to comply, you may file a suit for recovery of money due to you
Harvinder Singh (Querist) 09 June 2024
Amount is not to big that we goto court and waist time. Can we sort this matter by police complaint.
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 09 June 2024
You are entitled for your share of FDs, you may file a suit in the court. Consult a local advocate.
Matter is Civil in nature.

Your younger brother received the amount as nominee which only makes him a Trustee of the amount so received.He has to share that amount with all legal heirs. If the amount is too small to bother why bother, after all he is your younger brother. Leave it or involve family elders and get the matter resolved amicably. Moving Court is unwise as it may involve much expenditure, effort and time making entire thing untenable by the time you finally win the case.
P. Venu (Expert) 11 June 2024
Police has no jurisdiction in a civil dispute.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now