LIVE Course on Transfer Property Law | Price Hike in 4 days | Grab it now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Need advice on name change

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 10 January 2022 This query is : Resolved 
Dear Experts,

I am looking for some advice regarding my name. Here is my situation:

In my passport and education certificates & degrees my name appears as "AXXX BYYY CZZZ" where AXXX is my first name, BYYY is my father's name and CZZZ is my surname. In other documents (Aadhar, PAN, DL, Bank accounts, employment records, Marriage cert, Property docs, child's birth cert) my name appears as "AXXX CZZZ" i.e. my father's name BYYY does not appear. When I recently went for passport re-issue the authority denied to consider Aadhar as proof of address due to this name difference. They asked to change name in Aadhar as per passport OR publish ad in 2 newspapers to change name in passport as per Aadhar. Now my confusion is whether to do a name change as per passport, education documents OR change it as per Aadhar, PAN, Bank accounts etc. I am leaning towards changing it as per Aadhar as there is a long list of documents with this name so I don't have to worry about changing the name in all those documents. Only catch will be that my education docs will have the old name. Also after I change my name officially can I revert it to old name again later?

Any advice on this matter will really help me take a decision. Thanks in advance.
kavksatyanarayana (Expert) 11 January 2022
It is better to get a Gazette Notification for a correction/change of your name. So apply in Annexure-I to through the Tahsildar concerned with the copies of two ads in paper publication.
P. Venu (Expert) 12 January 2022
The better option is in taking steps for changing/correcting the name in the Aaadhar.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query