Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Name change

(Querist) 04 August 2008 This query is : Resolved 
Dear Legal Experts
can a hindu person change his name to either christian or muslim name without converting to the same?

ESTHERPRIYA (Expert) 04 August 2008
Yes it can be done by means of an affidavit and publication in Official Gazeette with reasons by filling a form and other aspects to be complied with. Then for all purpose you can use the new name changed by showing the publication as an evidence to it.
arunprakaash.m. (Expert) 04 August 2008
You can have any kind of name. Only thing wherever you are asked your religion you have to mention your correct religion. some names are common in all religions like raja mani manickam soloman alexander stalin nepolion etc.

Guest (Expert) 05 August 2008
Is it an academic question or a live question.

If it is acadamic O.K. But if it live, there could problems from the respective communities.
anantha krishna n.v. Advocate (Expert) 06 August 2008
it is quite common to have names sounding of different religion being taken by persons professing a different religion. Many times this happen because the name would be of some saintly person of that other religion.
ANAND SUMAN (Expert) 06 August 2008
There is no law to prevent any person to adopt any name. India being a secular country does not prevent for that. What you do is to make an affidavit to this effect and publish the change of name in two newspapers of well repute.

For any further query, feel free to contact.

Advocate & Legal Consultant
(Founder Director)
E- 42 B, Third floor
Jawahar park, Khanpur
New Delhi- 110 062

Mob. 9958330546
E. Mail:
Srinivas.B.S.S.T (Expert) 15 August 2008
I agree with my friends
Adv.Shine Thomas (Expert) 11 September 2008
Yes,a person can change his name at any time.The procedure is correctly explained by Smt.Padmapriya.
B.B.R.Goud. (Expert) 07 March 2009
i do agree with learned friends.

there is no such law, which can prevent to put any kind of name, subject to the peace and security of the secular country, till now.
Hiralal Das (Expert) 06 April 2009
Thanks all of you the ld. members and the author.
I think your valuable opinions will assist everybody to solve their problem/matter in question properly.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :