Is interest to be paid on arrears of back wages received by court for more than 10 years back

sir
I want to know if interest on arrears of the back wages of more than ten/fifteen/twenty years is awarded by the court. In all the judgments of serving employees where back wages is awarded no orders are given for interest. kindly clarify giving some ruling of supreme court so that claim for interest can be made to the department.
thanks

Dear Kumar,

Unless the judgment specifically makes a mention of payment of interest, no interest becomes payable on arrears of back wages.

However, if case is not yet filed in the court of law, you can make a specific request to allow payment of interest.

I do agree with Dhingra ji and want to add that generally arrears of more than 38 months prior to filing of suit cannot be claimed.

K.S.SrinivasOnline (Expert)

I agree with Mr.Dhingra.

M/s. Y-not legal services (Expert)

Is it makkad sir? Can you clear something more about this with illustration. This is new one to hear me.

Money recovery is restricted only up to 36 months plus 2 months of notice period means only 38 months prior to filing of civil suit.

×