Right to Information Act

Can certiified copies of govt office documents obtained under RTI Act be used as evidence in court ?riven

Shivasurya (Expert)

Yes definetlyriven

Dr C SureshOnline (Querist)

Thank you Sir. The reason why I was asking the question is that recently in DRT, Hyd the Presiding Officer stated that recently the Hon Supreme Court has ruled that information obtained under RTI Act cannot be used as evidence. I have tried to find the said jdgmt but I have not found it. I am not sure if the PO was just saying it without any such judgmt.riven

Jithendra.H.J (Expert)

court should not ask from where the documents obtained, and about the means to obtain the documents.
" Documents produced by illegal means is no bar to its admissibility if it is relevant and its genuineness is proved.
Refer
Magraj Patodia Vs RK Birla AIR 1971 SC 1295riven

Adinath@Avinash PatilOnline (Expert)

I am agreed with all above exepertsriven

Bhumik DaveOnline (Expert)

Fully agreed with Mr. Jitendrariven

Binod Kumar Mishra (Expert)

Dear friends,

basically the information collected under RTI was earlier not used as evidence, but in a recent judgement the apex court (i am not recollecting the judgement but i had read it) has stated that any judgement passed by the court (if reference is not available) may be submitted as evidence depending the genuiness of the documented based on the cross checking by the court masters itself.

as far as RTI is concerned, it is now readily accepted by any court as the information collected by the appellant by the hear of the public authority of any department is as well as document collected by the state itself as the public authority represents the state in any affair before any court of law.

keep enjoying.riven

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Expert)

yes,certified copies can be a evidence .either it's come from rti or any other way.riven

Sachin Bhatia (Expert)

Agreed with the above experts.

×