LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Change of caste

(Querist) 06 July 2020 This query is : Resolved 
Sir, I live in Hyderabad, I want to change my caste in my 10th class certificate. I am from SC caste want to change to General, in my BTech my caste was under General category so I want to continue as such, by changing in 10th.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 07 July 2020
Indian society recognises caste of a person by "birth", which can not be changed his / her sweet will.
Re-birth is the only option for changed caste.
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 07 July 2020
Law erecognises caste only by birth.

You are free not to avail any concession. You are free not to mention your SC status in govt job application and you are free not to submit cast certificate.

This way you ensure that "(SC)" is not written in the seniority list against your name.
Guest (Expert) 07 July 2020
On February 5th 2019 Ms. Sneha Parthibaraja an 35 year old Advocate from Vellore- Tamilnadu became the First Person in our Country to Win the Right Not to have any Caste or Religion associated with her identity after an 9 year old Court battle.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 07 July 2020
Agree with the advice from expert Sudhir Kumar.
Hemant Agarwal (Expert) 07 July 2020
1. Conduct "Name Change" proceedings via a Govt. gazette proceedings and adopt a totally different name, which is a general category surname.

2. Based on Govt. gazette publication, change ALL your ID documents to the new name (PAN, AADHAR, Bank, Property etc.... ), PROVIDED you remain in a Private Job and not in any Govt. Job or elections or whatever, where caste is mandatory to be declared.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Expert) 07 July 2020
Not able to agree with Mr Hemant Kumar

Change of surname has nothing to do with cast status. There are many persons having adopted a surname that of general category and yet not discarding cast status and enjoying reservations (nothing illegal).

Even if one belongs to "SC" or "ST" category and wants to join govt job he is not bound to disclose caste status and not bound to avail reservation. He has to disclose and prove cast identity only if he wants benefit of age/reservation etc.

Even after joining he can any time denounce reservation for promotion and in seniority list he will be marked as general.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 08 July 2020
I concur and appreciate the opinion and advise of expert Mr. Sudhir Kumar, name or surname can be changed but not "caste" as asked by author.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 08 July 2020
I concur and appreciate the opinion and advise of expert Mr. Sudhir Kumar, name or surname can be changed but not "caste" as asked by author.
P. Venu (Expert) 08 July 2020
To my knowledge, the mention of caste in public documents is optional; it is required only for availing of the special concessions. If caste is mentioned in the 10th certificate, you may take to steps to delete the same from that certificate and leave that column blank.

Incidentally, degree certificates etc. do not make any mention of caste. Even while applying for admission to BTech course, you have option to leave column as to caste (or even Religion) blank.
Rajendra K Goyal (Expert) 08 July 2020
Caste is by birth can not be changed.

Surname can be changed. Can forgo facility if any, which entitled due to caste.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query