LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Surname In Passport

(Querist) 19 November 2009 This query is : Resolved 

I have only "Avinash" in all my marksheets. In passport, I have my surname as blank. I wish to know the following things:

1. How to change my surname in passport? The rules and regulations in Passport guidelines are for marriage and for women.

2. Will I have to change all my marksheets if I change my surname in passport? Will having different names in Passport and Marksheet create any problem?

Please guide

Thanks & regards

Raj Kumar Makkad (Expert) 19 November 2009
it seems you have not to change your surname in passport rather have to insert. Surname is generally not inserted in the schools in India and as a result thereof the same doesn't appear in the certificates but it can be inserted in the passports without getting changed in the certificates rather a simple affidavit and publication in the newspaper and the insertion in the State Gazette is sufficient. After completing this formality, the passport office shall insert your surname.
Adinath@Avinash Patil (Expert) 19 November 2009
Avinash (Querist) 20 November 2009
Wont having different Names in Marksheets and Passport create problems?
Legal Eagle (Expert) 20 November 2009
No. As you have published the same in the gazette is enough.

Also note that you are not changing your name, only adding your surname, which was not there in your school certificates.

Can you please inform what is there on your birth certificate??
Avinash (Querist) 20 November 2009
Well, I dont have a birth certificate. I was born in a remote village which still doesnot have a proper road. Does birth Certificate matter in my case?
In my PAN card & Voter ID, it is just Avinash.
James Arun (Expert) 20 November 2009
1. Prepare affidavit, get it notarized.
2. Publish in local newspaper.
3. Your name is changed/altered/modified, as per your wish, from the date of publication of notice.
4. Apply for addition of surname in your passport. Attach copy of paper notice and the affidavit.
5. Your old certificates, etc., need not be changed. Always retain a copy of affidavit and paper clipping in your records.
6. Once passport is changed, you can update your DL, Voter's ID, PAN, Bank Accounts, etc.
Avinash (Querist) 20 November 2009
Hi...Thanks for the Reply....
VIKAS RAJ CHHAJER (Expert) 20 November 2009
I you need your query be solved easily then you may contact at below address and phone numbers:-

91 9314023636

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query