LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Registry Marriage

(Querist) 09 June 2008 This query is : Resolved 

I am a 26 year old Muslim man from Chennai wishing to marry a 26 year old Hindu girl from Mumbai. I am currently in US and the girl is in London, UK. We are both on work assignments in these countries. Due to some resistance from our parents we wish to come down to India on a particular date, get married and travel back to US. Can anyone please advise on what will be the fastest and the most convinient way for us to do this?

Thanks & Regards
Manish Singh (Expert) 09 June 2008
there is no fast rule for that since you need to intimate your intention to the registrar having jurisdiction over either party's last residence(in terms of Special Marriage Act).
he will give public notice of the same and intimate your parents also. And if he doesnt get any valid objection, you will be allowed to get married.
Ali (Querist) 09 June 2008
Hi manish,

Thanks for your advise.

I had read somewhere else on this site that i can do the following:

"Marriage among Hindus or Muslims requires only a few minits. Only seven steps required before a secred fire. You Can Marry in Arya Samaji System. It takes Two hours and a marriage certificate is also given by them. Intercaste marraiage is possible by this system. This type of marriage is valid one".

Is this method possible?

Also, if it is absolutely no work around and there has to be a registry made in the court followed by a waiting period of 30 days, i was wondering if i could ask a friend of mine to initially do the registration (because both of us are not in India). We can afford to come to India only once and if it is possible for a friend or someone from the family to apply for registry, we can come down to India at the end of 30 days and get married then.

Please advise.
Manish Singh (Expert) 10 June 2008
you need to convert into your spouse religion to be eligible to perform a binding marriage ceremony under Hindu Marriage act. otherwise you are bound to follow the procedures prescribed by Special Mariage Act.
SM act proedure is quite simple, and there, only valid objectiojns are entertaijned from your folks. the objections must be a valid one in light of the fact that you are both now adults and can take your own decisions.
SANJAY DIXIT (Expert) 25 June 2008
Dear Ali,
You have heard quite right.
In Arya Samaj Mandir they will first arrange a HOME called SUDDHIKARAN for converting you into Hindu Religion & then the marriage will be performed according to Hindu Ceremonies.
The all ceremonies may conclude in hours.
Ali (Querist) 27 June 2008
Thanks to all for your replies.

Is there any way in which I can hire services of a lawyer to file the registration because it is not very easy for me to come down to India twice. If the registration form is filed, I can come down to India after the 30 day period is over and get the marriage done.

Please advise.
Guest (Expert) 27 June 2008
You can post here as to which place the marriage is happening, then a lawyer of that place amy do the job.
Ali (Querist) 28 June 2008
We wish to get the marriage done either in Chennai or Bangalore.
a.haridasan (Expert) 12 July 2008

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :