25% OFF on all LCI Courses. Offer valid till 5th Oct. Use Code: DUS25
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Live in Relation ship...

(Querist) 09 December 2008 This query is : Resolved 
1.are there any laws for live in raltion ships in INDIA.
2.if couple is living together for 4 years without getting married ...will that woman get rights on her man's property and other rights like a married woman gets from her husband
3.if any couple gets married in temple/church without any friends and relatives ...is that marraige valid...how to register those marraiges..
Manish Singh (Expert) 09 December 2008
there are no laws for validating live in relations but in a recent judgment the SC has given right of alimony / maintenance to the women who was in live in relations and the gesture of the persons were like spouse.
living together for 4 years shall definitely entitle the women for maintenance but depending upon the facts and circumstances of the case.

in you get married in a temple and you have evidence to corroborate the same, definitely it shall be a valid marriage provided it went on according to the Hindu Marriage act.
And as far as i know, you cant marry in churches without getting youur marriage registered at the same church after the marriage ceremony is over.
Tribhuwan Pandey (Expert) 09 December 2008
1. The Family laws like Hindu Law/Muhammadan Law/Christian Law etc. are itself laws for live in relation ships in INDIA. However there is no exact law in this regard.
2. where couple is living together for 4 years without getting married, it does not entitle a woman to get share in her man's property, because they are not husband and wife, they are just friends, as like a friend cannot claim in his/her friend's property how so much they are closed to each other.
3.wherever they got married there should be proved either by of joint affidavit or by photographs or by witnesses.
Adv.Shine Thomas (Expert) 10 December 2008
At present there is no exact law in India to support this relationships.In Evidence Act,a long time living together as husband and wife in society has been considered as married couple if no specific proof of this marriage exist.In this context 4 years is a very short period.
Suresh Kr. Mitruka (Expert) 12 December 2008
No right in man's properties even if living as husband and wife for four years.

Marriage solemnized in temples may be registered under Hindu Marriage Act and if the couple decide to get the registration, the marriage may be solemnized and registered under Special Marriage Act also.
ritu bhadana (Expert) 03 April 2009
i agree with all my ld. friends
Hiralal Das (Expert) 05 April 2009
I do agree with the valuable opinions of the learned members. Thanks all of you.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Expert of the Month

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query