Installation of cctv in office premises.

To
The respected experts
Recently one of my friend/colleague who is a Company Secretary of a Company(A state Govt Co) inform me that their present MD (Managing Director) installed CCTV in the entire office. Once when he visit to his MD in his cabin for some official purpose he found that the MD watching the movements of his employees through TV screen.
My friend told me that installation of CCTV in office premises is although not illegal and for security reason it is become necessary , but discovering the fact that MD of a Company(Who is the administrative head) constantly watching movement of every employees of the Company, annoyed him very much.
I personally also feel to some extent it is crossed the limit of modesty.
Your view is also welcome .
Abhijit Majumder

Installation of cctv in office is neither wrong nor illegal. Though it is for security purpose but should not use for watching privacy of any employee.A notice must be displayed in office that all are under surveillance of cctv.

N.J.S.Rajkumar alias narasimhaOnline (Expert)

Surveillance Related Laws recognize that Companies have a Right to Protect legitimate interest. Presently you could find CCTV in Central and State Govt Offices also. ( By the way the Querist / Anonymous / Abhijit majumdar this is to Assist the Querists Honorarily and Not an Place for Time Passs and you had posted several queries this week it self )

Hemant AgarwalOnline (Expert)

1. IF Administrative Actions of Co. is annoying to your Friend, THEN the next best option is to resign from his job or seek transfer somewhere which is private to his liking.

Yes. I agree with the reply of the learned expert Mr.N.J.S.Rajkumar alias Narasimha sir.

Why and how you are concerned with the employer of your "friend" ?
What is your locus standi / concern / problem, except to post for the sake of "time-pass" ?

K RajasekharanOnline (Expert)

This query is based on a misconception that photographing or videographing a person questions women’s modesty or privacy.

The law in this regard has not been matured enough in our country to specify to that extent one can photograph or videograph a person.

The principle followed in developed societies is that when a person is visible from a public place it is permissible but when he is not visible from a public place it is not permissible.

So a company placing a camera in the toilet or women’s rest room where others have no visibility it is impermissible. But placing it on the publicly viewed places is not a violation of privacy, which is considered to be a fundamental right, to any extent at all.

×