LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Information about IT Returns!

(Querist) 22 June 2008 This query is : Resolved 
My client has the PAN number of her husband.
Whether she can get the information from Income Tax Dept. under RTI ACT regarding IT Returns filed by her husband in the prev. fin. years?
Whether PAN number is sufficient for the said purpose?
Srinivas.B.S.S.T (Expert) 22 June 2008
Yes pan number is sufficient. The IT officials are bound to give the information under RTI act.
Guest (Expert) 23 June 2008
PAN is sufficient, but the application has to be made to the concerned PIO of the Commissionerate or the Ward.
SANJAY DIXIT (Querist) 23 June 2008
Thanks to mr Srinivas & Kotresh.
SANJAY DIXIT (Querist) 23 June 2008
Where & PIO of which circle Application under RTI Act should be sent?
As the PAN was issued from Chennai While the husband remained in the job in various
places. Husband used to change his jobs within months & during last 2 years he served at Chennai, Delhi & Bangalore.

Pls. guide.
Guest (Expert) 23 June 2008
In such case, kindly look at the Acknowledgement issued by the Authority when he filed the return. If he has filed before ITO, then Commissioner of Income Tax of the That Range will be the PIO. PIO means Public Information Officer. In respect of that year write to that person.

In employment many people file return either at the permanent residence or at the place the salary is issued. If you have a such facility, then your job is easy.

Or else you may have file the RTI applications separately.
Srinivas.B.S.S.T (Expert) 24 June 2008
its a detailed reply given by my friend however as one can submit returns in any state on his pan number i dont think it would be difficult to traceout his returns. First you contact the office which have issued the PAn number i mean by the data provided by you it must have been the Chennai office.
SANJAY DIXIT (Querist) 25 June 2008
Thanks alot to Mr Kotresh & Srinivas.
Really great help.
Vineet (Expert) 15 December 2009
Dear Mr Sanjay

I disagree with all the experts on this issue.

An Income Tax Return is filed with Income Tax Depratment in fiduciary capacity and therefore IT Department is not bound to disclose its particulars to any other person. One such deciciosn of CCIT Mumbai in the matter of Sanjay Leela Bhansali has been upheld by CIC also.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query