LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 23 February 2010 This query is : Resolved 

I have been married for 6 years and now my husband is filing for divorce as we realised that we dont get along. He did not want to even put any effort right from the beginning and it was only me who kept up with his absence due to long working hours, physical abuse, loneliness etc. While he remained the husband who would only visit, it was me who made the house a home. FRom the beginning, when the house was brought, i kept asking when i could become a co-owner but my husband and his mother kept saying its no use and that its a very lengthy process and will cost a lot of money. Now at this juncture, all i have left is this house to which i am very attached. My husband is the only child to his parents and they own a 1 bhk house close to my marital home. I need this shelter. Please help me in understanding how i could contest rights of owning this house. I have been requesting my husband to let the house be with me but he has disagreed. The house loan which is pending can be paid by me till the tenure ends. Please help me, i am really distressed. My husband has gone public and is maligning my image to people he knows. I have agreed to sign the divorce papers but i need this house before i go ahead with the divorce.
Guest (Expert) 23 February 2010
No one can throw you out of your matrimonial house. Your rights are well protected. Contest your husband's divorce papers effectively. If at all you have decided to go for divorce, seek the house as well as your maintenance amount as one-time settlement from your husband.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 23 February 2010
Dear Mr. Subramanian,

I will be seeking a lawyer's help in Mumbai since i am based here. i was not always ready for divorce but i cant take this mental harassment anymore. I always believed that we will part amicably and with dignity but i cant believe to what level my husband has stooped. He will try his best to get a lawyer to ensure that i dont get the house. his cousin is a corporate lawyer and i dont have any contacts. Its my battle alone but thank god for a wonderful family and friends who are all supportive that i am for once wanting out of this loveless relationship. The reason why my husband wants a divorce is my temper problem which he has exaggerated way above and told people around. I did have temper problems cus i was upset being left alone in the house as he was working till very late. i am glad that i admitted to that and have managed to work on it really well. I was all of 23 when we got married so it did take me time to adjust. He has never acknowledged all that i have done for him and his family. he has never realised my worth. I hope he lears his lessons.
Kumar Thadhani (Expert) 24 February 2010
Try to short your things amicably with your husband it will work out well,do not take such hasty steps.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 24 February 2010
Dear Mr. Thadani,

I from my end have always believed in an amicable separation which i will do. My husband is planning to sell off the house which is worrying me as i need the house. My father will retire soon and will move back to our native place. I have a good job in Mumbai and if the house goes away then i wonder what will happen. Is there a way i could contest for the house?

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query