LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Disputed marraige

Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 18 April 2024 This query is : Resolved 

I connected with my wife via online matrimony 3 years back.
Both felt right to proceed and decided to get married. Ours is 2 sates scenario.
This happened when I was working in Bangalore.

Later on when I found my mother got macular degeneration issue in eyes which impairs her vision and makes dependent on other for basic tasks too(reading, writing, seeing things). So I quit my job in Bangalore and changed to WFH job.

My wife too agreed as she wasn't employed that time. Later she got job and it was office job but I mailed on her behalf requesting special permission for WFH stating my mother's health condition and it happened.

Everything was going fine but lately, my wife got some pseudo feminism stating she is working so she won't help in household chores. We have maids at home and only cooking remains as household duty. She doesn't help in cooking too. I said alright and I was joining in all household chores.

Now she is demanding to stay separately from my parents which I don't feel like to. After so many fights I finally gave in and decided to move nearby somewhere to my parents home so that I can look after them too.

Coming to discuss about living separately, my wife asks me to give hand in household chores to which I agreed. But she expects me to contribute more financially, do more household chores and managing home too. I should do cooking, help her in office related mails and tasks, take her out on trips too. I feel like I've got a permanent guest to whom I always keep serving.
I would not have mind if I was staying with my parents and helping them too.

After all these, I spoke to her parents and they are also taking her side that she is working so she can't do more work. FInally I thought to end the marriage and asked her that it's not going well then shall we get separate mutually calling off marraige. To which she is saying she'll use the law and won't go for mutual.

What can be done in this case?
Can I get divorce without getting in trouble?
If that has to happen then will I be liable to pay any alimony? We dont have any assets purchased after marriage and she is independent earning well.
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 18 April 2024
It is not easy to get divorce if she is challenging your divorce case.
Since she is not inclined to go for mutual consent divorce, and if you are adamant about divorce then you may have to file a contested divorce on the grounds of mental cruelty alone.
Since she is employed and drawing handsome salary, she will not be eligible for maintenance or alimony.
Neither she will be entitled to any share in your property irrespective of the fact you bought them before or after marriage
I agree with Shri T. Kalaiselvan Expert Advocate.
Querist : Anonymous (Querist) 21 April 2024
Thanks T. Kalaiselvan and Sivaramaprasad for your inputs.
I read in news some days back about judgment where judge granted divorce in circumstance where wife was forcing husband to stay away from her in-laws in separate home.
Can this also be applicable in my scenario.
Moreover, even if she earns handsomely but I earn way more than her can she claim alimony?
T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Expert) 21 April 2024
There is of course a court judgement stating taht the wife forcing her husband to stay away from his parents is also an act o cruelty.
You can include that also as a reason to describe her acts of cruelty in the divorce petition,
Whether she is earning equal to you or lesser than you but her income is handsome and sufficient to sustain her expenses then the court may not entertain her petition seeking maintenance, but you have to prove that with substantial documentary evidence
P. Venu (Expert) 26 April 2024
"...........my wife got some pseudo feminism............"!
It appears that you are trying to deal with the issue with preconceived notions; it is the willingness for give and take that make a successful married life.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now