LIVE Online Course on Indian Constitution by Dr. Ravishankar Mor. Register Now!!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

change of name

(Querist) 06 September 2008 This query is : Resolved 
One of our employee whose wife's maiden name is Pratima Mishra after marriage she is to be called as Pratima Satpathy. Her nick name is Manini. The employee by oversight in all the employment records/nominations mentioned her name as Manini Satpathy. As per her school certificate it was Pratima Mishra. Now he submitted an affidavit sworn by his wife Pratima Satpathy before Executive Magistrate, duly notorised alongwith news paper cutting in the local daily about the change of her name as Pratima Mishra, Manini Satpathy and Pratima Satpathy are same. Can we take it on record ? What is the law relating to this please clarify. Regards
V V SATYANARAYANA (Querist) 06 September 2008
Please clarify the law relating to the above query
Jithendra.H.J (Expert) 06 September 2008
when a person changes his name, the name has to be cahnged in every document related to him ex: pasport, driving licence, bank account, voters list and id cards etc.,

(if some person is bequething properties through will to the person who is intending to change the name?)

dont you think there is a difference between the executive magistrate and judicail magistrate?

if the affidavit is duly sworn before the Judical Magistrate, surely you can take it on record with the proper procedure
G. ARAVINTHAN (Expert) 07 September 2008
Alteration or change of name and religion is permitted under our law and those can be done by submitting prescribed form with prescribed charges to the office. Publication is to be done in official gazzete
V V SATYANARAYANA (Querist) 08 September 2008
Thanks to learned friends.
It is told that change of name or religion is permitted under law and publication has to be done in official gazette.
Kindly guide it is covered under which act and reference of relevant provisions please.


SROTAS -Global Legal Services (Expert) 08 September 2008
Dear Mr.Satyanarayana,
These are the procedures for change of name.

Change of Name normal or due to change of religion.

1. How to apply : Forms are supplied free of cost. They may be obtained from the government Press in person or through postal. Furnishing the correct details called for on the rear of the format helps to publish the change of name in the Government Gazette early.

2. How to obtain copies of the Gazette : The person who remits the correct amount as specified in the format will be supplied to his address with five copies of the part of the Gazette wherein the change name has been published. For obtaining further copies, the Assistant Director, Publication Depot,of the concerned government press may be contacted.

Note: Gazettes are retained for a period of one year only for sales. Hence, you are advised to get the required number of copies as soon as they are published.

3. Payment of charges for Notification: Payment towards advertisement charges as specified on the rear side of the application form may be remitted at the cash counter at Government Press, on any working day between 10-00 a.m. to 1-00 p.m. and and 2.00 p.m. to 3.00 p.m. and obtain the receipt for the same. The amount may also be remitted in the form of a crossed demand draft.Please verify with the concerned office for more details about DD.

Note: This amount will not be accepted if it is sent by money order.

5. Working days : Monday to Friday

V V SATYANARAYANA (Querist) 09 September 2008
Thanks to learned friends.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query