Bank account

This query is : Resolved 

23 May 2012

A woman whose husband is lying in comma at present in a Hospital is suffering from financial crisis.

Her said husband is an employee of a PSU and she along-with her other family members are dependent on him financially. Her said husband has an individual Savings Bank Account which is operated by him only in a Nationalised Bank at his place of residence. The monthly salary against his employment is directly deposited at his aforesaid Bank Account by the PSU.

Due to such condition of her husband she is suffering from financial crisis as she is not assisted by any person. She is unable to pay medical bills and medicine costs. She has a lot of hardship in following daily pursuits. If her husband had the aforesaid Bank Account a Joint one with her, then her financial condition would not have been worse today.

Now, the question is that whether there is any possibility of obtaining a Court Order on the basis of her Declaration as wife for converting the aforesaid individual Bank Account of her husband into a Joint one, so that the Bank authorities can act upon. Let me know where and how to file a Petition for Declaration.

Surendra Gupta (Expert)
24 May 2012

The wife can request the bank to depute an officer to the hospital for authenticating the signatures/thumb impression of the husband on the cheque and the treating Doctor can be made a witness. After withdrawing the entire amount lying in the account, the wife can deposit the same in her own bank account.

In case the husband can sign on the fresh Account Opening Form while in bed in the hospital, that officer of the bank can open joint account in the hospital itself.

In case the branch manager of the bank does not cooperate, the matter can be taken up with their higher authorities.This writer can be contacted at

V R SHROFF (Expert)
24 May 2012

husband is lying in comma:

If unconscious, bank may be unable to help. Bank can advance Loan, on condition of freezing hus a/c till he become normal/ or after demise, she can get it if nomination filed.
Always have joint a/c . Even if with ATM CARD, IT WOULD HAVE HELPED.

M V GuptaOnline (Expert)
24 May 2012

The wife may not be able to operate the bank account which is standing in the single name of the husband. As the husband is said to be an employee of PSU, there should be a medical assistance scheme under which the PSU would be reimbursing the Med expenses. The wife should apply to the PSU for immediate medical assistance. I am sure the PSU would come to her rescue by writing to the hospital that they should send the bills to them for settlement.

RAJU O.F., (Expert)
25 May 2012

Bank would be justified if they release the amount required for the medical treatment of customer who is in coma. Please take up the matter with the bank officials.

sasankajyoti sharma (Querist)
25 May 2012

Bank Officials were contacted earlier, but with no positive result. So is the problem. Wife has financial problems not only with the medical expenses for her husband, but also with her day to day expenses. Bank Officials once asked the wife to bring Court Order so that on the basis of which they will convert the individual Account of her husband into a Joint Account.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :



Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query
Forensics & Evidence     |    x