FLAT 20% OFF and 3-Months ADDED Validity on All Courses Absolutely FREE! Enroll Now Use Code: INDIA20
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More


(Querist) 30 April 2009 This query is : Resolved 
Ld counsels,

Wife has filed annulment of marriage on the grounds that husband was allegedly forced into marriage. If the husband contest the case, annulment may not be possible. But on the same proceeding if compromise need to be arrived is it advisable for the couple to say that both did not give full consent for the marriage and the marriage was performed mainly because of the personal preferences of the parents of the couple. The marriage lasted for only 6 days and non-consummated.
If this is the stand taken by the couple will the marriage be annulled on the proceedings initiated by the wife.

Husband as also filed a restitution and one couseling session is over on that. Since husband has filed restitution is there any harm in the reversal of stand taken by husband in the nullity proceedings.

Please clarify.
adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (Expert) 30 April 2009
IF both are ready for the dissolution of marriage then court normally will not interfere with the decision of the parties. But there is conciliation stage, normally court gives much interest to reconcile the husband and wife, but when both are not ready then marriage will be dissolved as per the compromise between the husband and wfie.
No harm will be caused on the stand of the husband.
Ranganath (Querist) 30 April 2009
Ld cousels, Please clarify whether the marriage will be dissolved with a decree of nullity. This is maunly bcos the wife's side is not will to carry the stigma of divorcee. Hence the nullity proceedings.

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Expert) 30 April 2009
yes marriage can be declared nul on the ground of absence of free consent.
A V Vishal (Expert) 01 May 2009
A marriage can be declared null and void if certain legal requirements were not met at the time of the marriage. If these legal requirements were not met then the marriage is considered to have never existed in the eyes of the law. This process is called annulment.

One of the grounds is "If the consent to the marriage was based on fraud or force", since in the first query sent by you clearly states that the groom was forced into marriage the marriage can be annuled, but, the groom has once again willingly come foward to save the marriage by seeking restitution I think that the court may not favour annulment.

Further, on personal front I feel if the boy has reliased his mistake, then give the couple a chance to be together. Marriage is a sacred institution and every body has a responsibility to support and maintain it, to make something it takes years and to break it it doesn't even cost a second. I request the couple to give a second thought before they proceed further since what is left behind is past as we walk into future.
SANJAY DIXIT (Expert) 26 May 2009

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query