LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

After leaving the job salary is still credited in my account

(Querist) 15 September 2008 This query is : Resolved 
I left the company one year back.That was not a formal resignation but i took leave without pay for 3 months and then got married and setteled down and never returned.The problem is that after 3 months the salary had started coming to my salary account. Might be there is some confusion in their accounts deptt.

I want to ask that once they realise it will i be liable to return it back. Since i have not made any offence will i be accused or blamed. Can i use that money? Will i have to return it?

Please help me.
VASANTH D JAGANATH (Expert) 15 September 2008
You have to intimate company and take decision

return the money if it does not belongs to you [i.e., if it is credited by mistake in your account]

Intimation should be in writting so that you will be in safer side and you will not be an accused under section 420 of the IPC

Section 420 Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property
Whoever cheats and thereby dishonestly induces the person deceived to deliver any property to any person, or to make, alter or destroy the whole or any part of a valuable security, or anything which is signed or sealed, and which is capable of being converted into a valuable security, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Of Fraudulent Deeds and Disposition of Property
arunprakaash.m. (Expert) 16 September 2008
You can honestly about inform your employer.
Manish Singh (Expert) 16 September 2008
it will not amount to cheating. but it will be either dishonest misapporiation of money or criminal breach of trust.

you should better intimate them in writing.
podicheti.srinivas (Expert) 17 September 2008
Honestly speaking you have commited an offence,you know that you are not working in that company and you would have intimated to the company you are no more working in that company and still the salary is being credited into your account.
your ommission to intimate the company that salary is being debited into your account and you are utilising the same amounts is an offence .first you intimate the company and payback the amounts due to avoid the litigation.
G. ARAVINTHAN (Expert) 27 September 2008
Now you can not be charged of any offence. But it will be safe for you if you informed the same to that company with a good intention

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query