Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

How to convert regular suit to commercial suit

(Querist) 02 December 2021 This query is : Resolved 
I had filed a suit in May, 2015 in Bombay High Court, Original side, when commercial courts act had not come. Mine is a commercial dispute matter but since the court fees was not paid and only paid in January, 2020 hence the suit got registered but as a regular suit in October, 2021. My advocate is unable to convert (does not know the procedure to convert regular suit to commercial suit) it to commercial suit. Please if your learned can advise I shall be highly obliged.
Dr J C Vashista (Expert) 05 December 2021
Commercial Courts Act has come into force in 2016, which is prospective and inapplicable for the cases filed before it.
Maya Singh (Querist) 05 December 2021
Section 15(1) of commercial court act states of transfer of pending cases, I want to know the practical procedure like whom to approach and what type of praecipe to be submitted at the Bombay High court.
Shubham Bhardwaj (Expert) 08 December 2021
Dear Sir,

I am assuming that the suit that you are referring to actually falls within the definition of Commercial Dispute so as to be eligible for being tried by a commercial court.

Another important aspect that I was able to locate from the facts provided by you are that suit was filed in 2015. If the suit was filed in 2015 that means it must be at a very later stage of trial.
Anyhow, to answer your question, the Commercial courts act provides that suits involving commercial disputes involving a specified amount shall be transferred. Please note the word 'Shall'. It means the court will suo moto do it it brought to its knowledge about it being a commercial dispute. But if the same is not done, the same can be done by simply filing an Application under section 15 of the Commercial Courts Act for transfer of the suit to commercial division or commercial court as applicable.

Shubham Bhardwaj (Advocate)
District & Session Court, Chandigarh
Punjab & Haryana High Court, at Chandigarh

Disclaimer:- Opinion is only for guidance.

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query