LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

couple or not?

(Querist) 25 July 2008 This query is : Resolved 
if a man & a woman lives together for a long period of 10/20/30 years without getting married i.e. cohabiting & have children also out of that cohabitation, can after a long period of time they be given the status of husband and wife?
Guest (Expert) 25 July 2008
No they cannot be unless the customs prevailing in that region are followed. Marriage is status which is acquired with performance of promise.

Any number of years of co habition will not make them a couple. They live as couple and not husband and wife.
Murali Krishna (Expert) 25 July 2008
I am very sorry not to accept with the views expressed by Mr.Kotresh. Supreme Court in many cases held that when a man and woman lives under a roof cohabiting, shall be treated as married and they shall be treated as wife and husband. Pl refer to Badri Narayan V.Dy.Director of consolidation; AIR 1978 SC 1557 and S.P.Balasubramanian Vs.Suruttiyan; AIR 1994 SC 133.
tarun (Expert) 25 July 2008
What do you mean by status of HUSBAND AND WIFE ?
yOU UR SELF has said people who are not married means not married they are in live in relation ..they can not be termed as H AND W BUT.........There are certain rights which the LAW has now started recognising viz..a lady can ask for the maintenance from the men she was in LIVE IN RELATION ... CAN EVEN GO FOR domestic violance ( in my opinion ) the children wil have a share in the property .
Srinivas.B.S.S.T (Expert) 25 July 2008
Hindu Marriage act Section 10 has given some conditions of a valid marraige. As live in relationship is not formulated in that the same cannot be treated as a valid marriage.
SANJAY DIXIT (Expert) 26 July 2008
Certainly NOT.
Living together under same roof can't give the status of husband & wife to any man & a woman.

Children born out of such relationship would be ILLEGTIMATE.
arunprakaash.m. (Expert) 28 July 2008
Supreme court recently inmany cases reitrated that live in relationships also stands to accepted as of marriaed couple.
bindia (Querist) 23 October 2008
How can i practice in consumer courts? what is the procedure to apply in them and do they require experienced lawyers to work in consumer courts or a fresher can also work over there independently? is there any exam required to be cleared to get into them? please provide me with all the information regarding this.
Adv.Shine Thomas (Expert) 25 October 2008
Eventhough they can get the status of husband and wife,they can't get the marriage certificate.
Adv.Shine Thomas (Expert) 28 December 2008
An advocate can practice in consumer courts. There is no special requirements.
Adv.Shine Thomas (Expert) 28 December 2008
In the Evidence Act,long time living together as husband and wife in society has been considered as married couple if no specific proof of this marriage exist.
Tulsa & others vs. Durghatiya and others

You need to be the querist or approved LAWyersclub expert to take part in this query .

Click here to login now

Similar Resolved Queries :

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query